Cherry Tree Lane

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Cherry Tree Lane

Post by jonbly »

A bit slow initially, but quite gripping after that. Particular credit for the bruised-eye make-up on the father's face which withstood extreeeeeeme close-up very well. Good interplay between the thugs.

8/10
looneygooner
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Cherry Tree Lane

Post by looneygooner »

Very disappointed with the film, I have seen a lot of home invasion films and this one lacked the brutal revenge that I like to associate with these sort of films, he lacked conviction especially when he was punching him at the end it was a bit windmill
LeeManc
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LeeManc »

This started really well, until the parents were tied up and then we got a load of boring pointless dialogue. When the dad got free it took about 2mins to regain control of the house.....an hour was wasted on boring dialogue.
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by halloweengirl »

This was one of my favourites, surprisingly. I didn't mind the dialogue bits and I thought the 'gang' were quite naturalistic. I think they might live on my estate!!
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

I liked this film, I found the gang to be scarily convincing and the reason for their home invasion believable too. I don't know the director's other work, but it seemed to me as though he had contempt for the innocent professional couple but he was much more sympathetic to the gang members
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

london to brighton by this director is one of my fave movies of all time......so dissapointed to read the awful reviews this latest film is recieving
the house shot her !!!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Is this not going to provoke an Eden Lake style frenzied debate between Daily Mail readers and liberal lefties? I thought it was well done but the subject matter is asking for trouble.

Get those phrases ready now: "hoodie horror", "broken Britain", "unfair depiction of modern youth", "yuppie nightmare", "vicious attack on the working class".....
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Not quite up there with London to Brighton but a really good film - tense and well acted and doesn't outstay its welcome
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

cool i feel a little more optimistic now
the house shot her !!!
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

It was okay, tense and as has been said the gang were realistic and believable - I liked the conflicting personalities, Rian being totally nasty and aggressive, while Asad showed moments of being caring and concerned despite having nasty intentions.

The problem was this kind of thing has been done before, and we'd just seen a much better and much more inventive "hoodie horror" the previous day with F.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Enjoyed this one. A home invasion that you believe can happen. A intense film that left somethings to the imagaination. A excellent cast. You do believe there are nasty people out there like the characters in the film . When the girls just turn up and treat the house like their own. You really do feel defenceless. Also like the ending, very striking way to end the film.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

Wolfshade wrote:It was okay, tense and as has been said the gang were realistic and believable - I liked the conflicting personalities, Rian being totally nasty and aggressive, while Asad showed moments of being caring and concerned despite having nasty intentions.

The problem was this kind of thing has been done before, and we'd just seen a much better and much more inventive "hoodie horror" the previous day with F.
surprised you could here what was going on...or were you lip reading for this one

peace
the house shot her !!!
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

lupogirl wrote:Enjoyed this one. A home invasion that you believe can happen. A intense film that left somethings to the imagaination. A excellent cast. You do believe there are nasty people out there like the characters in the film . When the girls just turn up and treat the house like their own. You really do feel defenceless. Also like the ending, very striking way to end the film.
have you seen "london to brighton" ?
the house shot her !!!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Another topical film, with a look at modern-day "broken Britain". I liked the realism and the open ending was effective, while there was a fair amount of humour to be found in this one too. However, the middle act started to drag a little, while gorehounds will be disappointed as it was comparatively restrained compared with what it could have shown. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
scrobble
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by scrobble »

I wasn't keen - it seemed to me to take elements of Eden Lake social commentary with elements of Ils, and throw in a bit of Funny Games without any of the humour. I think I'd have preferred it if it hadn't taken itself so seriously.
If you cut off my head, what would I say... Me and my head, or me and my body? What right has my head to call itself me?