I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

The movies of 2010 still live
halloweengirl
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

Post by halloweengirl »

Yep, have to agree with The Aylmer on this. I liked it and also thought it was preferable to the original, imo. Enjoyed(?) the revenge section of the film but I did wonder where the sheriff's daughter got to.
GeorgeCaplin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by GeorgeCaplin »

Good remake, the revenge acts were top notch and more satisfing. However I still think on some level I prefer the original for it's randomness and cruelness.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

This was one of the titles I felt I was going to have problems with. I don't like sexual violence in movies and I was mightily relieved that that material was massively reduced from the 45 minutes it took in the despicable and repugnant original version. It then becomes a balancing act between conveying the horror on one hand, but not going overboard into exploitative titillation on the other. Zarchi's original just didn't know when to stop, while this remake more or less manages it. Very nasty in the second half, which isn't the half that the BBFC found fault with.

(It's worth mentioning that the BBFC's cuts aren't noticeable.)
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Really enjoyed this - good fun - not as good as the original though
AndyJWS
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AndyJWS »

Better than the original, but then I absolutely despised that film (which is something extremely rare for me)

Think for the revenge genre that I was spoilt by The Horseman though - this didn't even come close!
"There is no Good, there is no Evil... There is only flesh..."
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

As far as remakes go it was definately a good one, but have seen films in this mold so many times before that it failed to keep my interest. Also didn't find the rape scene particularly harrowing.

However I do have to say kudos to Andrew Howard. Thought I vaguely recognised the sherrif, but completely failed to recognise that it was a stalwart British b-movie gangster/bad guy. He can actually act:)
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

As far as revenge/torture go this was probably one of the best. I think that people are even going to like that if they know the original one and while not being perfect it was well enough done to "entertain" and not feel boring at any time.
The revenges where all original and well executed and although some people complain about forced lines (e.g. the ass man part) I feel, that they are needed to lift the general spirit.
7/10
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Thought this was a excellent remake. The original I think is a lot stronger in content. Hence, I can't watch it again.

This remake did make uncomfortable viewing but was not prolonged in certain scenes. The payback scenes were really good. Did like the scene where one guy says sorry but she says sorry Is not good enough. Then exacts her revenge.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

As someone has already mentioned, the rape scene seems much shorter in this. But the pre-rape humiliation seems more drawn out (it's several years since I last saw the original so I may have remembered wrong).

There are many in the film industry who will vociferously defend the offensive procedure of 'spacking up' (a non-disabled actor pretending to be disabled) but this film was a real own goal for them because it's done so unconvincingly. One minute Matthew seemed to be non-disabled, then he seemed to have an anxiety disorder, then he seemed to have Tourette's, then he seemed to be on the autism spectrum, then he seemed to have cerebral palsy. I know better than most that there are many people with more than 4 impairments out there (my own diagnoses far exceed four!); but conditions don't come and go and chop and change.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
Spencer
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Spencer »

it is just me then !!! lol
http://twitter.com/roughtradeshops

http://lastblogontheleft2.wordpress.com/
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Hands Down one of the best films of the Festival. I loved it. I saw the original years ago and I don't think it would have the same impact as the remake. I love it when everyone in the cinema gets really into the film and verbalises their delight at what they are seeing. The revenge scenes were awesome and I love the way everyone laughed and ooohed and ahhed at her methods. Thats what I love about cinema. 10/10
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Very good update, although lacking the griminess, seediness and graphic scenes of the original. Still, in some ways I felt it surpassed the original, and there were some inventive deaths and a fair degree of resonance in the film. Loved the fish hooks! 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

It was great watching this with a FF audience. The revenge kills went down a storm. Whether I'd enjoy this as much if I saw it whilst sat at home is debatable though. I think viewing it with a roomful of like-minded people is definately the way to see this.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

A rare case of a remake being better than the original, particularly in this day and age. Ok, so the rape was less brutal or gritty, but it was still pretty harrowing (the good performances helped there I think). And you gotta love the revenge scenes!
"Whether I'd enjoy this as much if I saw it whilst sat at home is debatable though. I think viewing it with a roomful of like-minded people is definately the way to see this."
Completely and utterly agree. I can't see myself watching this at home by my lonesome. And I get the feeling my wife wouldn't enjoy it.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

One of the top films of the festival for me, extremely well delivered.

You dont find that rape scene disturbing or harrowing? what the heck? i take it youve never been raped then, or maybe your just not a woman so couldn't identify to much!

Delivered on every level for me and I cheered like a loon when the shears came out. A deserved end to the sherrif too :D
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup