Re: Monsters

Post by Reanimator »

Best film of the festival for me - a fantastic film
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I have to agree with comments above concerning how great it was. It's definately one of my faves from this year.

However I also have to agree with comments re the comparisons to District 9, etc. It may well do on it's opening weekend, but when people get feedback that it's not all sci-fi action I think people will avoid it.
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Good movie in general but nothing exceptional and nothing I wanted to see at FF. This is fine if you want to take your girl on a night to the movies but as far as suspense/horror/scifi goes this one should be avoided.
I don't really get all the hype. Yes, it was done on a shoestring budget, yes, it is the directors first work, yes, considering all that it looks beautiful but does it deserve the hype? I don't think so.
How anyone could NOT get the end/the circular storytelling is beyond me as it was as blatantly in your face as were the "illegal aliens" references. And since when is "Central America" being considered a country and since when does it go right up to the mexican border?
I agree that people will avoid it as soon as word gets out, that the trailer is very misleading, there are no monsters to speak of and that it is more of a lovestory/road movie than it is a creature feature.
6/10
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

I have say I did not really get into this film. Seeing I Spit on Your Grave first and then this. Was not in the mood for a semi romantic film. Liked the setting. I found the story was more about the two people and the monsters were in the background.

Monsters, I will want to see again. In a different frame of mind.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by lisy-babe »

halloweengirl wrote:I thought it was beautiful little film. [...] I don't think it was a horror or even a sci-fi and didn't really fit in the festival.
Yes! Agree completely.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

A major dissapointment considering the buzz surrounding it. Visually very impressive but a complete bore. Would that it WERE like District 9.
Jim Fear
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Jim Fear »

I loved this film. Yes, it was a totally different style of film to ISOYG beforehand, but thats whats great about the FF - they show a wide range of films. Monsters was beatifully shot and raised some good talking points. Will definately be going to see it again.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

A shame that the trailers have mis-sold this film, as I think it deserves to do well. Instead, there'll be a back-lash of people slagging it off because they were expecting "monsters getting blown up 'n' shit". That said, I appreciate that this film won't be everyone's cup of tea but I did like it, despite the fact it has been hyped up a bit too much.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
batterseablue
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by batterseablue »

A marvellous film which didn't patronise the audience and had subtle and atmospheric CG and compositing. Great performances, wonderful cinematography - what's not to like? If unmitigated shit like "Isle of Dogs' (which is basically a mockney gangster flick) has a place at FF then why not 'Monsters'? Best film of the weekend for me.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Although there wasn't much horror going on, I still quite liked this film. I wouldn't watch it again or even buy it, but it was quite a gentle road movie kind of experience. I liked the two characters in the film, so being a girl, I wanted them to get together and felt sorry for her when she saw the other woman in his bed. Dirty so and so. Couldn't get his leg over with her, so went to the nearest jezebel who stole the tickets lol Anyway, they were nice and so were the big alien thingymajigs, even if they were a slight rip off of the creatures in War of the Worlds (the tentacle bits anyway). They seemed to be having a loving embrace or cuddle of some kind which was actually quite touching. 6/10 for me.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Couldn't get his leg over with her, so went to the nearest jezebel who stole the tickets lol Anyway, they were nice and so were the big alien thingymajigs, even if they were a slight rip off of the creatures in War of the Worlds
That was the 3rd Spielberg picture the creature scenes ripped-off, after Jurrasic Park and Close Encounters ;) Still, an amazing acheivement if he did all the effects himself on a laptop.
maxmum
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by maxmum »

Although I loved the monsters and enjoyed the sfx scenes the slow love story did nothing for me.

Most of the time all I seemed to see to remind me they were in an alien invaded zone were the constant signs - signs signs signs everywhere! Just in case you forgot the huge tentacled monsters that were roaming around - here is a sign to remind you! Cause you know, your a bit thick you might forget.

lets drive down this road - oh look some signs signs! Lets go to the port - oh look some signs!

I guess thats due to the budget but gosh some lucky sign maker must have had most of the budget sat in his pocket by the end of it.
Thanks for the ride, sir.
You have lovely sheep.

@patricidalpup
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Thoughtful, evocative tale with various political and social sub-texts set against a backdrop of alien invasion and the resulting infected zone where the aliens are kept segregated from the US. An emotional, very well told story with excellent use of locations. However, it will disappoint those expecting Independence Day 2, while it was a little too slow in places. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

Although I loved the monsters and enjoyed the sfx scenes the slow love story did nothing for me.

Most of the time all I seemed to see to remind me they were in an alien invaded zone were the constant signs - signs signs signs everywhere! Just in case you forgot the huge tentacled monsters that were roaming around - here is a sign to remind you! Cause you know, your a bit thick you might forget.

lets drive down this road - oh look some signs signs! Lets go to the port - oh look some signs!
I sense a drinking game developing here!
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

currently on FreeVee
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey