Tobe Hooper and the chainsaw massacre

The movies of 2010 still live
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Tobe Hooper and the chainsaw massacre

Post by Bearded Avenger »

I don't think that the Empire guy can be blamed - Tobe Hooper just seemd to be a rubbish interview. If you missed it, here were his stock of answers:

"Yes"

"No"

"I can't remember"

[Inaudible mumble]
world_of_skin
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by world_of_skin »

Yes, but it's an interviewer's job to get the right information out of people (or, at the very least, the right amount!) - as somebody's already said, the Total Film guy wasn't interested in any of Tobe's tangents, and, whilst I appreciate the time constraints, it's just not an effective technique to virtually dismiss answers from your subject! Often Tobe'd say something, it wasn't quite what the guy was hoping for or expecting, then he'd just go 'OK.' and then move straight on and switch to another topic - he often didn't even pass any comment on Tobe's answers (a passing one would've been fine! just some acknowledgment of what he's said!)! If I was Tobe, I'd have found that pretty demotivating - it would have made me quite conscious of myself. He was being treated as though he was giving the wrong answers at times.

I'd say he piled his opinion(s) on to Tobe but didn't really try to connect with him, therefore rendering it a bit pointless. It was almost like his opinion was all for the benfit of the cameras/audience rather than actually to generate discussion in any way. His questions were often closed-ended, not open-ended - they often didn't invite that much input/response from Tobe.

Like I said above, maybe Tobe wouldn't have been any/much better even with a different interviewer, but the point is, how do we know!?
"But what if one of you is the monster?"
"Monster? We're *British*, you know..."
AnotherSchmuck
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by AnotherSchmuck »

I felt sorry for Tobe, he seemed nervous or at ill ease from the off and the interviewer from Total Film was a complete douche who actually didn't seem too interested in anything he had to say and kept slamming the questions at him without any comment on the answers.

Shame on Total Film for putting such a douche out there, would of been better if the questions had just been audience led or Alan (or any other of the guys) were on stage leading the interview.
"Horror films don't create fear. They release it." – Wes Craven

Instagram - timothyrobinparsons
Twitter - @AnotherSchmuck
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Eggshells: Very much a film from it's time. At times visually stunning. All the going up and down staires. Sitting in baths became a bit tiresome. Did like the one man sword fight scene.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Be my second time seeing this on the big screen. Really enjoyed seeing this again and this time with the Frightfest crowd.

The Interview.

Was not the most informative of interviews I have been too. Real shame Toby Hooper would not go into detail with some of the questions. How could the guy from Total Film not mention Salem's Lot in his questions? At least someone in the audience mentioned it.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Eggshells: Very arty and experimental, thought the climax was underwhelming, but it was different. Very slow paced and the underlying logic was never explained. I couldn't hear much of the dialogue due to the music, while too many sequences went on for far too long. However, an interesting reflection of the era. 6 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A bona fide horror classic. 10 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Porkboy
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Porkboy »

Didn't enjoy Eggshells, although I'm not sure you're supposed to enjoy it. I found the psychedlic scenes quite cool, especially the one-man sword fight. But the audio was too loud and I think the Total Film guy tried to over-sell this way too much before the film started, which added to my dispointment.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - what can I say that hasn't been said already? Nothing. Exactly. Brilliant film and seeing it on the big screen was a fuckin' treat.

The Q&A session was as gruelling as watching Eggshells to be honest. The Total Film journalist just didn't seem to click with Tobe Hooper and this made the interview cringe-worthy in places. Didn't help that Tobe seems to be a naturally shy guy. Don't get me wrong, I was happy that he was there and some of the stuff he said was interesting (when I could hear him!) but I think, as someone else had pointed out, that getting Alan Jones to do the interview would've been a smarter move.
"Last person I saw looked like you, I shot 'em in the face!"
"Shoot me in the face and I'll kick your ass!"
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

:D I really loved the quality of TCM . I could tell it was blu –ray straight away . The detail was amazing especially in the opening graveyard scene . You could see the dripping on the copses ! But must admit the film did seem a bit polished now . The older prints ive seen add a lot to the grittiness and realism to the film . Wasn’t too impressed with Tobe Hooper’s interview . But it was great to finally see him and get his autograph . This is what makes fright fest for me .