Red White & Blue

The movies of 2010 still live
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Red White & Blue

Post by jonbly »

Halfway through this, jonbly was screamingly bored. The pace was turgid and the plot obvious.

Strangely, though, at the end it felt like it had been a good film... and jonbly's not sure how the hell that happened.

One question remains... what was going on with her and that kid? It felt wrong that the mother allowed that to develop. jonbly's left wondering if the kid was Erica's all along...

7/10
Last edited by jonbly on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
markR
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Red White % Blue

Post by markR »

I forgot about the little kid she kept visiting. Yeah what was all that about? Have to agree it was a very slow burn, but I felt it delivered the goods. The scene with the wife and child taped to the seat was intense! Particularly after stabbing the little girl - couldn't believe that! Overall my fav film of the day.
beheaded
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by beheaded »

jonbly wrote:Halfway through this, jonbly was screamingly bored. The pace was turgid and the plot obvious.

Strangely, though, at the end it felt like it had been a good film... and jonbly's not sure how the hell that happened.

One question remains... what was going on with her and that kid? It felt wrong that the mother allowed that to develop. jonbly's left wondering if the kid was Erica's all along...

7/10
I thought we were showed her friendship with the young boy, and how she enjoyed the family party, so we saw a warmer side to her character and felt empathy.

After all, if she hadn't been raped at 4 years old all the revenge that took place later in her life wouldn't have happened . .
GeorgeCaplin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by GeorgeCaplin »

markR wrote:I forgot about the little kid she kept visiting. Yeah what was all that about? Have to agree it was a very slow burn, but I felt it delivered the goods. The scene with the wife and child taped to the seat was intense! Particularly after stabbing the little girl - couldn't believe that! Overall my fav film of the day.
I think the kid must be hers, could even be a product of her abusive mothers boyfriend over the years or even a have unprotected sex with a number of guys in her past. With the mother too young the boy was in care and with her being allowed to visit.

Was a great film, acting especially. Though was a tad clunky with the abruptness of cutting to the rock guy's life but it couldn't be helped with the subject matter involved. Wasn't blown away by the 'jazz' piano too much in the soundtrack but the good vastly out weighed the bad. The 4x4 scene was brilliant and I love the fact not everything was answered.

If the guy can torture animals and has worked for the government there is probably no limits to what he can do.
I recommend the film 'unthinkable' if you are interested on how far someone people can go to find out information in desperate times or times of suffering.

A very deep and satisfying film. A story filled with murderers, rapists and sociopaths.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

This one reminded me of Jack Ketchum's The Lost from a couple of years back (which was one of my films of the year). Had the same sort of screwed up vibe to it. Took a while to get going and for the stories to come together, but once they did it was uncomfortably rewarding. One thing that kind of passed me by right at the end, probably because I looked away from the screen just as it took place, was the photo that ex war vet Nate set on fire. Only saw it for a second but it looked like him with his arms around Erica in her wedding dress (and holding a rose)? For a second I thought they must have been married (which might explain the kid), but it didn't make sense with what had gone before as they seemed to be meeting for the first time earlier in the movie? Slight comfusion aside, an 8/10 here.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

The Aylmer wrote:This one reminded me of Jack Ketchum's The Lost from a couple of years back (which was one of my films of the year). Had the same sort of screwed up vibe to it. .
Interesting that you say that, cos I just discovered the guy who caught HIV in Red White & Blue was the same guy who played Ray Pie in The Lost...playing a similar kind of character here.

I don't really have an opinion on this film - it wasn't one of the best of the weekend but certainly wasn't one of the worst, I didn't particular enjoy it, but at the same time I didn't hate it, I just well....watched it. I agree it was similar to The Lost, with the vibe of intense character analysis going on, just didn't really grab me in the way The Lost did.

the character of Nate was an interesting one, first impressions are he seems creepy and like he's going to be an unhinged serial killer, then you see his caring and personal side when he's the only person Erica can connect with, but by the end he's turned into the killer that you'd first imagine him as.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Wolfshade wrote:
The Aylmer wrote:This one reminded me of Jack Ketchum's The Lost from a couple of years back (which was one of my films of the year). Had the same sort of screwed up vibe to it. .
Interesting that you say that, cos I just discovered the guy who caught HIV in Red White & Blue was the same guy who played Ray Pie in The Lost...playing a similar kind of character here.
Oh, bloody hell. How did I miss that?!? You'd think I'd have noticed given how much I liked The Lost! (maybe I did subliminally) And there was me moaning about that couple in The Tortured not being able to spot how the guy they adbducted wasn't the same guy they'd spent all that time hating and planning to capture. Doh!
Darkly Noon
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Darkly Noon »

The Aylmer wrote:This one reminded me of Jack Ketchum's The Lost from a couple of years back (which was one of my films of the year). Had the same sort of screwed up vibe to it. Took a while to get going and for the stories to come together, but once they did it was uncomfortably rewarding. One thing that kind of passed me by right at the end, probably because I looked away from the screen just as it took place, was the photo that ex war vet Nate set on fire. Only saw it for a second but it looked like him with his arms around Erica in her wedding dress (and holding a rose)? For a second I thought they must have been married (which might explain the kid), but it didn't make sense with what had gone before as they seemed to be meeting for the first time earlier in the movie? Slight comfusion aside, an 8/10 here.
Remember that the last time we see Nate and Erica, before we spent a long stretch of the film away from them with Frankie, Nate tells Erica he's going to ask her a weird question. The film cuts away at that point, and with the events surrounding Frankie, we can assume a few weeks pass before "the boys" find Erica. So it's safe to assume that Nate and Erica quickly got married in the interval.

Really loved this one, probably my favourite film of the whole weekend. I have a screener of The Lost somewhere, if it's similar to this then I need to check it out.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Darkly Noon wrote:Remember that the last time we see Nate and Erica, before we spent a long stretch of the film away from them with Frankie, Nate tells Erica he's going to ask her a weird question. The film cuts away at that point, and with the events surrounding Frankie, we can assume a few weeks pass before "the boys" find Erica. So it's safe to assume that Nate and Erica quickly got married in the interval.

Really loved this one, probably my favourite film of the whole weekend. I have a screener of The Lost somewhere, if it's similar to this then I need to check it out.
Ah. Thanks. That helps make a lot more sense of that final shot. Forgot about the 'weird question' bit, although it certainly did seem to be leading up to a proposal. So yeah, I like that. And it'd explain just why he goes as far as he does later on.

As for The Lost. Yup, if you like Red White and Blue then you should love the Jack Ketchum film as well. The finale is pretty intense. Give it a go first chance you get! :D
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Deep breath. Red White And Blue upset me quite deeply, to the extent that I spent the entire running time completely distressed and thoroughly uncomfortable; as soon as the closing titles started I left the building and couldn't come back. I couldn't face any more films, I didn't return for The Last Exorcism and I simply walked away. I don't even know where I went - the street names were unfamiliar; I was completely lost and I didn't care - and when I somehow finally arrived at St Pancras station some two hours later, and walked all the way back I couldn't go into the Phoenix. I don't know why, I don't know yet what the film did to me, but it shook me so much that if they'd screened it on the Friday, I would have gone home first thing Saturday morning. I am still upset by it. And I don't know why.

Somewhere in Bloomsbury, I cried.

It's a stunning piece of work, certainly my film of the festival and probably the best film of the year. And I never ever want to see it again, and I wish I hadn't seen it at all.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

Still not sure how much I liked this. The first hour is excellent but it seemed a bit disjointed in the last 30 minutes. Need to watch it again to decide. Either way it has some powerful scenes and should be watched by everyone
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

I quite enjoyed this film, but when I can't like anyone in it, its a bit difficult to care. Animal torturer who stabs innocent children, HIV spreader although with a sad childhood and dickhead cowards who can't play instruments who cover up a murder Hmm? I loved the atonal music though, it was brilliant. Best bit of film actually.
Last edited by BabyJaneHudson on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
goregoregirl
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Red White & Blue

Post by goregoregirl »

I absolutely loved this film, it was probably my favourite of the festival. Great acting, particularly from Noah Taylor, and great use of Austin as a location. Really effective overall, I was devastated by the end.
Twitter @goregoregirl
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Wolfshade wrote:
This is pretty much what I was thinking - I was distracted for a chunk of it thinking where I'd seen the actor playing Franki before and why he was wearing those girly earrings. Certainly not one of the best and not the worst ..that "honour" belongs to "Pile(Isle) of Dogs" (although I did hear RW&B described as a"self indulgent wankfest" by a couple of peops on the way out). Interesting to hear Simon Rumley describe it as the first movie to use a vagina as a weapon .... errr thought that was Teeth?

Overall - another Simon Rumley movie that left me wholly unimpressed.
Heiko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Red White & Blue

Post by Heiko »

Okay, what was that?

If I had to classify this type of movie I'd just call it a simple drama. And having said that I fail to see in which way it might connect to Frightfest, in what way it may have been scary.

Oh, wait... it had some bits of 'gore' in there... and according to the director it was a take on the serial killer-stalker by having the deadly weapon being the woman's vagina...

Sorry, what bull! The vagina weapon... hello, ever heard of Teeth? That's going with a concept that is scary, 'coz no condom will save you! With RW&B it's really just... well, if you party wild, don't be surprised if you catch something. That should be general wisdom...

anyways, so with Frightfest now showing a completely non-horror drama I guess next year we are going to see some romcom?

I'm sure there would have been much more fitting movies out there than this one... :-(