Appluading Death Scenes

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
mathewxentrix88
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Appluading Death Scenes

Post by mathewxentrix88 »

ArghZombies wrote:I'd be worried if people take the films so seriously that they *don't* laugh / applaud etc. it's horror, it's supposed to be fun. I laugh at the death scenes in many films, it all depends on the tone of the movie. And yeah, I'd laugh at bad movies too - at least that means you're getting *some* enjoyment out of it. Better to enjoy it ironically than get no enjoyment out of it at all. Surely that's worse?
Well you said it-it's the tone of the movie-Giallo is a serious(if a bit crap)film-isolated bits of stifled laughter i could understand of course but people towards the end were belly-laughing through it-which was well over the top.Laughing at poor dialogue in an Argento film is certainly not big or clever-as everyone knows it is a weakness of his.
The fact that a film is crap doesn't necessarily make it funny-Giallo is no "Mega Shark V Giant Octopus"and for me the laughter at inappropriate points really took me out of the film-especially "forced"laughter by idiots who thought they were somehow better than the material they were watching."Look everyone-Adrian Brody is smoking another cigarette-HA HA!"Nah-not really funny.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Having watched re-watched Giallo home-alone the other night, Brody's performance was every bit as misjudged at it appeared on the big-screen that night...
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Nobody deliberately set out to laugh at Giallo, we don't sit there and "force" laughter, if something's ridiculous it makes you laugh, simple as that.

It's true that in a crowd a mood develops, so you probably end up laughing a lot more than you would watching it home. But so what, you get to share something, it's fun, that's part of the Frightfest (or cinema generally) experience.

As you say, Giallo is no Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus, but it's not very far off - which is a sad reflection of just how far Argento has fallen. That's not the audience's fault.
mathewxentrix88
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by mathewxentrix88 »

The Soapmaker wrote:Nobody deliberately set out to laugh at Giallo, we don't sit there and "force" laughter, if something's ridiculous it makes you laugh, simple as that.

It's true that in a crowd a mood develops, so you probably end up laughing a lot more than you would watching it home. But so what, you get to share something, it's fun, that's part of the Frightfest (or cinema generally) experience.

As you say, Giallo is no Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus, but it's not very far off - which is a sad reflection of just how far Argento has fallen. That's not the audience's fault.
Definately not saying people"set out"to laugh at it,what i'm saying is as the movie went on the laughter seemed to increase to the point that people were tittering at nearly EVERYTHING-almost as if they were trying to gain a laugh from something that patently wasn't there.It was annoying,and i spoke to a few people after and some agreed whilst some didn't-but trust me-i'm not the only person who thought it was a bit weird.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

I have fond memories of Gallio because it was the one film that people laughed at because it was so terrible and that can be quite an enjoyable experience when you go and see a movie and get something you didn't expect. If a film makes you feel a certain way, then it just does and if it has that effect on mass then I suppose the stronger that feeling may become.

I don't know if people went out of their way to laugh at everything, in my experience a miniscule percentage of attention seeking individuals will do this, which is not representative of the audience as a whole. I imagine out of the entire crowd you would only find a handful of people like this. Unfortunately you can't control every action of individual human beings and I don't go to festivals in that frame of mind. I just accept these things occur and I've forgotten it in a second, because as soon as the credits start rolling my thoughts are of getting to the loo before the queue gets rediculously long.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Biohazard
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Biohazard »

Applauding and laughing at deaths is what cost me my job as a bereavement counsellor.