Mobile Phones why cant people do with out them?

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
Grindhouse
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by Grindhouse »

who was it that had their phone on yesterday during The Dead,i could hear a txt alert somewhere in the audience and it wasnt from the film.
do we have such a short attention span that we cant do without our phones,please lets keep them all off next year.
"Time To Nut Up Or Shut Up"
Howl
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Mobile Phones why cant people do with out them?

Post by Howl »

I agree, I f**king hate mobile phones in cinemas!!! I went to the theatre the day before and they have a special anouncement before the play starts telling people to turn their phones off. If a phone rings or beeps actors sometimes scold the offenders. I guess in modern cinemas none of the young staff dare say boo to a goose.

I rarely go to multiplex cinemas now because it's a chatter of mobile phones, or people checking mobiles for messages (Iphones annoy me because even without the sounds the screen is so big it gives off a distracting glow like someone turning a torch on next to you), people walking in and out etc etc.

During The Dead, the guy next to me was obviously bored and kept huffing and puffing and checking his Iphone every 20 minutes which really started to annoy me - I expect better at a film festival.

Modern audiences are killing the cinema experience (and I will not even get started about the 12a certificate which big studios basically bribe the BBFC to pass so they can maximise studio profits thus allowing attention deficit youths into films that are more clearly aimed at adults (The Dark Knight - I'm looking at you)). In fact I was going to ask that question to the BBFC guy during the VIdeo Nasties debate.

Rant over.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

jesus mate its just a light...calm down.....are you really that easily distracted???? or just looking for a chance to wine.....??

peace

xxxxx
the house shot her !!!
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

It's never "just a light" if it takes you out of the movie...
Howl
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Howl »

Quote: [quote="brad1000"]jesus mate its just a light...calm down.....are you really that easily distracted???? or just looking for a chance to wine.....??

I admit I like to totally focus on a film and hate distractions but I know I'm not alone in this feelings, going to the cinema is a very expencive thing these days and mobile phones especially the larger ones do actually distract me from being in the world of the movie, maybe you are fine with people turning on and off light screens next to you, but I and others are not. If someone keeps checking their phone all the time they are probably bored and that emotion then distracts, adding sighing and constant shifting adds to that distraction. If I don't enjoy something whilst watching I have the good manners not to let others know and thus spoil their enjoyment (that's what forums are for). I'm generally a very positive person but mobile phones in cinemas really bug me and what better place to express that 'wine' (whine) than on a film festival forum in a post about such a matter.

Each to their own but we are there to actually watch a film and enjoy the experience.

Respect.
zoltan
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by zoltan »

All mobiles should be switched off before the start of each performance / screening!
End of story , it's not rocket science.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

its not your living room - develop some tolerance

peace
the house shot her !!!
Howl
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Howl »

Hey Brad1000,

It's funny how you accuse me of whining and should get a grip about mobile phones on a thread about mobile phones being distracting, whilst in another thread I was looking at you moan about people laughing during Argento's last movie! So what is it; tolerance of distractions or tolerance only on your own terms as long as it doesn't annoy you?

Cheers.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by daveroughcut »

brad1000 wrote:its not your living room - develop some tolerance

peace
They have learned to watch films in the living room and that is the problem. You can huff, puff, pause, rewind, skip and text the whole time. When it happens at a mutiplex it is annoying but unavoidable due to the admittance of the the general idiot. It is unacceptable during film festivals. Attendees at film fests are never casual viewers wandering in. And if the programming is not to your taste leave quietly and be welcome back for something that is. Like those cunts during Splice.

Peace n jam
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by MaxRenn »

Bollox to tolerating mobiles, people are repeatedly asked to turn them off by the organisers, anyone ignoring that is an ignorant arse. End. Of. Discussion.
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's a lack of respect and a lack of good manners. It's disrespectful to the directors and casts of the films who, in the case of FrightFest screenings, may have travelled round the world for this one showing - but who gives a toss about them, because you really really really need to see whether Vince has updated his facebook sequence or whether Brenda's replied to your email about whether she fancies Wayne or not. It's also disrespectful to blind the people sitting around you with the 350W searchlight bulbs that could pick out an approaching Stuka in a rainstorm.

If you've got something more important to worry about - if your granny's on life-support or your wife's awaiting the jury's verdict in her manslaughter trial - shouldn't you just go and do it? And if the film is actually the most important thing - turn off the unnecessary distractions. It can wait.

The fact that the thousands of knuckle-dragging Cro-Magnon chicken-chokers that shamble around the Odeon Stevenage like Romero's undead neither know any better, nor care to elevate themselves above plankton in the etiquette rankings, is no reason for us all to plummet to their level.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

Howl wrote:Hey Brad1000,

It's funny how you accuse me of whining and should get a grip about mobile phones on a thread about mobile phones being distracting, whilst in another thread I was looking at you moan about people laughing during Argento's last movie! So what is it; tolerance of distractions or tolerance only on your own terms as long as it doesn't annoy you?

Cheers.
fair point mate but a whole bunch of people working themselves up into a giggle frenzy over nothing in particular was just cringe worthy and rendered the film un-watchable...not the same as the odd backlight is it?. the same people would have licked argentos bum-hole into submission had he been in attendance is what got my back up.

peace
the house shot her !!!
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

daveroughcut wrote:

peace
They have learned to watch films in the living room and that is the problem. You can huff, puff, pause, rewind, skip and text the whole time. When it happens at a mutiplex it is annoying but unavoidable due to the admittance of the the general idiot. It is unacceptable during film festivals. Attendees at film fests are never casual viewers wandering in. And if the programming is not to your taste leave quietly and be welcome back for something that is. Like those cunts during Splice.

Peace n jam
god forbid anyone should puff during frightfest....is breathing ok???

peace
the house shot her !!!
Pestilence
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Pestilence »

peace
You're right Brad, it's not your living room. That's exactly what I say to people who are texting, phoning, talking et al during cinema screenings.

You're in film theatre, not your home - so develop some respect for those who are there to watch the film and not your activities. If you don't want to do that and would rather dick around then stay away and watch the film in - you guessed it - your own living room.
LeeManc
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LeeManc »

I am perfectly fine with a mobile being checked once during a screening it is when it is constantly out that it bothers me, I'm sure everyone heard the girl screaming about how she could 'still see the phone' which eventually resulted in another girl shouting 'Shut up!!' that would be fair enough but she then proceeded to talk, laugh, snigger throughout every film, no wonder when it came to 'buried' she couldn't understand how he could have cell signal, maybe if you listened instead of yapping and ruining the film for everyone, you would know!

Why is laughing/talking/sniggering throughout every film seen to be more acceptable than someone having their phone on during the opening credits???