The Divide

Pick at the bones of 2011's films
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Divide

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Pretty good. Nice to see Michael Biehn finally getting a decent movie to work with - and everyone played their parts well, in fact. jonbly would have gone with a slightly more optimistic ending, perhaps...
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: The Divide

Post by The Soapmaker »

This started out well enough, but I thought the descent into madness and in-fighting (not to mention overacting) in the second half of the film was utterly predictable and totally tedious. That bloody scene with Rosanna Arquette smearing lipstick all over her face...... YAWN.

Nice closing scene though.

Xavier Gens is a skilled director, no doubt about it. But he needs a script better than this cack.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I really loved this, so brutal and bleak. I thought the ending was perfect, a happy ending really wouldn't have suited the film at all.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

They dropped the 'child experimentation' and 'external threat' very quickly, to the point of it being pointless being there, but I suppose this was about how people act in trapped situations and to that end I felt it could and even should have been even bleaker.

A bit too average for me, though it looked good and was well enough structured and played out.
Maniacal
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Maniacal »

I found this to be truely engaging throughout, mostly. I'll have to forget about the oddness of the bald guy in the dress and the weak jealous french man. A lot of people around me seemed to be disgruntled when the lead woman left Biehns character and her partner. Why? Shes just witness the brutal rape of a woman and total immoral actions of the men around her, I say good on her.

Twitter: _grimgringhost
Facebook: Maniacal2011
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

Again, pleasently surprised, missed the first 5min which was a shame but enjoyed the rest. Just disappointed, that the dropped that whole outside/soldiers/children thing so quickly, that could have been fleshed out a little more.
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Reanimator »

The best film of the festival for me - was captivated from beginning to end. Cannot recommend this highly enough.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Enjoyed the apocalyptic side of this film. Did get annoyed one of the characters aimed a weapon at a corpse and not one of nasty men. The human torch scene was just stunning. The film did not get under my skin as much as I thought it would.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Some may find this predictable and unoriginal, but I really liked this one as the characters and story descended deeper into hell. Some disturbing scenes as the true colours of the characters were revealed and basic desires took over. Found the film packed an emotional punch too. 8.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
jrp1349
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by jrp1349 »

Excellent film, which owed more to Frontiere(s) than his previous film Hitman. Very well made, and the slow descent into in fighting and madness was harsh and brutal. Plus the nastiest death involving a baked bean tin can lid. The sort of film you always start your sunday morning with!
itchysore
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by itchysore »

Really liked this, great acting and well executed. Glad they didn't explain what was going on above ground too much.
daveroughcut
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

The Divide

Post by daveroughcut »

Nasty despicable people do nasty despicable things to each other in te most pessimistic and bleak situation on Earth. I. Loved. Every. Frame.
MaxRenn
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

The Divide

Post by MaxRenn »

The fourth world war will be fought with... Baked bean cans!

I did really appreciate this one for sheet bloody minded nastiness
There is no delight the equal of dread

http://twitter.com/MaxRenn

http://letterboxd.com/maxrenn/

Blog: http://www.chrisandphilpresent.co.uk/blogs/spectacularoptical/
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

Generally quite liked it but it too frequently opts for aggressive and unattractive people shouting at each other. And it's a bit too long.

http://streetrw.blogspot.com/2011/09/divide.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

It was certainly well made and well played. My major reservation was that it was utterly predictable.

I'm certainly not one of these jaded Festers who seem to condemn everything they see with a weary "seen it all before" sigh - but I must admit that, mere minutes into the opening scene (I missed the pre-credits sequence, I'm afraid), I was thinking to myself: -
a) they're going to be in this room for the entire movie
b) the normal rules of civilised society are going to break down, until they all turn on each other in an escalating cycle of unpleasantness
c) if we're lucky, the pretty girl may survive
d) we're all going to learn a valuable, if depressing, lesson about man's inhumanity to man.

Seriously - did any of you not know EXACTLY how it was going to pan out?