Breaks

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
DGB
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Breaks

Post by DGB »

I should start by saying I think this was the best festival yet, I think the quality of the films was superb. I can't name one film that wasn't an entertaining watch.

I should also add that the timings regarding the main/discovery screens were also excellent.

However, there's one minor suggestion: can we get longer breaks at mealtimes? Particularly evening meals, you need at least an hour and a half, Friday and Saturday nights in central London the wait for a table is at least 30 minutes. Perhaps other breaks could be reduced to less than half an hour to allow bigger breaks at mealtimes.

For me, and possibly others, the chance to go to a nearby restaurant is part of the weekend experience. I don't really want to grab a greasy burger to eat in my seat.
lisy-babe
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Breaks

Post by lisy-babe »

I can't see a reduction in breaks between films working. Q&As, etc, often over run and special guests arrive late meaning the start of the film gets delayed. If you shrunk the allotted break between films it'd result in the next film starting late too. Or we'd lose out on some special guests because the start couldn't be postponed for them and Q&As would get curtailed.
@lisybabe on Twitter

FYI "Lisy" is pronounced "Lee-see". It's derived from my real name, Lisa.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

This is something I've moaned about before.... it would be nice to have a least one break of more than an hour, at some point during the day, to give time to go and eat something a bit more healthy than a burger.

I realise it's difficult - not everyone would want to eat at the same time, for a start.

In the past it's been very haphazard - maybe only 20 minutes at one point, which barely gives you time to queue for a piss, then a random 90 minutes somewhere else. Sometimes we'd get a uselessly long 40-50 minute gap before the 9pm film (which nearly always starts hugely late anyway, although you can't rely on that...). Good for the drinkers, I'm sure.

This year there actually seemed to have been an attempt to regulate the breaks more - but as a result there was never a break longer than 45-50 minutes. Time for Burger King or a Chinese buffet, but nowhere near enough time for a proper sit-down meal.

Oh well, I'll stop whingeing. Most people don't seem bothered anyway.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

I missed the first 15 mins of The Woman because we had to get some food (well done to the New World Inns for getting us our food and out the door within 30 mins like we asked !)

One break of an hour allowing for Q&As would have been handy, but we managed to bring our food in most days.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Meanbobs
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Meanbobs »

The films can't really be packed tighter together due to the change-over routine (interviews, meet and greets, cleaning, toilet breaks for 1400 people, replenishing popcorn, moving around, allowing time for overruns). The only other way of stipulating a longer break for all would be to remove a film from the running order (given that the cinema needs to open and close at a set time). The easiest and most fitting solution is the simplest, and allows the festival to cater for weekend passholders, day ticket holders with sarnies, and passing trade/single tix holders - Leave it up to individuals to plan their time, miss a film and go and get something to eat.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I know it's not really worth arguing about, but there have been longer breaks in previous years.

It may have been more accident than design - and it may have left some of the breaks too short - but it was better than this year's arrangement.
nagelfar
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by nagelfar »

We managed well this year, were able to grab lunch/late lunch every single day without missing any movie (ok, we were 5min late for The Divide).
plushroom
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by plushroom »

I spent most of my breaks meeting cast and directors or queuing for the loo - I survived on whatever that breakfast thing at BK was I had before the start of friday until 2am when I found a Subway (There was a bit of popcorn during the day but that was it!).

Perhaps they could sell sarnies and things at the concessions desk, that way a quick vaguely healthy snack could be had with ease :)
evilandy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by evilandy »

one longer break per day would have been awesome. also, can they build some more toilets before next year? i spent more time in the gents than george michael.
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Can I give a shout-out to the free bananas! 8)
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I don't trust bananas but appreciate the thought of those who provided them.

Indeed a longer break, especially in the evening would have been more welcome, but I suppose largely due to male plumbing all breaks were long enough to do what was necessary.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

I actually found it quicker to nip out to one of the fast food places nearby and use the toilets there, rather than queue in the Empire loos. Breaks seemed to be longer after every couple of films, at least that's when I managed to get out and update my festival diary. It was nicer to get out in the fresh air (well, as fresh as London air gets once you run the gauntlet of smokers!) too, as it can get quite stuffy in the Empire lobby with all the bodies milling about.
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

I found one decent gap every day and used the West End Kitchen in Panton Street. Not dazzlingly great food, but edible and quite quick (it was a bit slow last year). Didn't miss any films and on one occasion sat with some other FFers.
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
Rue-morgue Jay
----
----

Post by Rue-morgue Jay »

The way i did it was either make food for a munch break as simple as possible, or like on monday, i skipped a film (deadheads) to grab some munch (tim hortons donuts. YUMMMMMM!) And still managed to watch THE SKIN I LIVE IN too, (HEEEEEAVEN!)
Eddie Krueger
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Eddie Krueger »

I found the breaks pretty managable to get a drink, fresh air and a toilet stop between films. My mate and I picked a film to miss each day to get a proper feed in; that coupled with a large breakfast before the screenings started each day did us proud.

I agree with the earlier comment that the only way of giving longer breaks is to remove a film, so I'd rather pick the one I miss myself.