Cockneys VS Zombies

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Cockneys VS Zombies

Post by jonbly »

5/10 - usual problems here trying to combine comedy with horror. Didn't really care about the 'heroes' or find much humour beyond Richard Briers' tragic love life.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Cockneys VS Zombies

Post by AdeBrown »

On a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is Shaun of the Dead, 6 is Attack the Block and 0 is a particularly violent episode of Eastenders, this was a 7 for me.

Unlike some I have spoken to, I found the young brothers endearing, but it was probably wise to share the story with the Old Folks, who consisted of some great actors.

Two classy moments: the hooligan zombies (slightly marred by lack of West Ham and Millwall shirts, as the fans would have liked that. I expect the clubs wouldn't as they prefer their Zombies placid.) And my LOL moment, when Mental Mickey turned and could not be shot in the head due to aforementioned metal plate.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
svengalidonut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by svengalidonut »

Didn't work for me.
Mediocre script.
Lame humour.
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

It's ok, and that's that. The cast makes up for it and it does have some good moments.
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Switchex brain off, sat back with a drink and quite enjoyed it :) Sean of The Dead it's isn't but It was a good start to my FF viewing this year
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Expected to be dreadful based on last year's trailer, so I was quite surprised that it was quite fun. Definitely wouldn't want to see it again, but it was a tolerable watch at FF.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A fun East End romp, with a bank robbery, a zombie apocalypse and an old people's home all thrown in. There was plenty of humour, some good characters and heart in the story. However, this may struggle to stand out in the overcrowded zombie subgenre, while it will be interesting to see how this translates overseas. 7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Hmm not sure about this one, had its moments but I must admit that it struggled to maintain my interest over the running time.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Was worried that the trailer had used all the best gags (especially the zimmer frame scene) but there was enough gags left in the make me chuckle.

It seemed to sag badly in the middle though and I though more could have been made of a few character traits but an entertaining romp.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

Really liked this one . Had some good fun with it
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Little bit surprised by the lack of love for this to be honest... :?
Everybody I spoke to at the time seemed to really like it.

Personally, I had a great time with this.
I was dreading another low-budget brit horror like "Strippers vs Werewolves" or *shudder* "Dead Cert", but as soon as those opening credits (how great were those!) came up with "Monster" on the soundtrack, I knew I was going to like it ...

For me, all the characters were likeable (maybe it's because I'M a Londoner, that I love C V Z ... ), the lines were endlessly quotable, the effects were great (the breakaway zombie-jaw), there was some innovation (the steel-plate in the head), and (yum) Michelle Ryan.
Also, the riffs around rhyming slang is not too far off the truth. "Trafalgar" for Zombie, isn't quite as convulated as why "Harris" is slang for arse!

It makes a great companion piece to "Shaun of the Dead" (although not quite as good). In some ways, it could even exist as a prequel! Think about it... we never do find out the source of the infection in "Shaun", do we?

Anyway, worked for me. Really enjoyed it. Hope it does well at the box office.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Liked the idea of swearing OAP's trying to kick bottom. Made me giggle. Also some rather good deaths as well.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
BigWillyStephenson
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by BigWillyStephenson »

Really enjoyed this,great fun.
It wasn't as good as Shaun of the Dead but well made.
Casting was great and Richard Briers performance was priceless.

Will definitely buy this on DVD
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Wulfster wrote:Little bit surprised by the lack of love for this to be honest... :?
I was dreading another low-budget brit horror like "Strippers vs Werewolves" or *shudder* "Dead Cert", but as soon as those opening credits (how great were those!) came up with "Monster" on the soundtrack, I knew I was going to like it ...
Pretty much exactly how I felt, especially regarding those other dreadful cock-er-knee horror efforts!

I was expecting the worst (and didn't enjoy the little snippet we saw last year), then the opening credits grabbed my attention but I still had my reservations.... it took me a while to warm to the characters (rather like Attack the Block, in fact) but I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

Might even scrape into my Top 5 for the weekend.
stshaw
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by stshaw »

Will we see a sequel? Brummies vs. Zombies anyone?

Director Matthias Hoene and screen writer James Moran introduce Cockneys vs. Zombies

Cast and Crew before the film

Director Matthias Hoene and screen writer James Moran discuss the film with uber-Cockney Alan Ford after the screening