Tulpa

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
nekro
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Tulpa

Post by nekro »

was this meant to be a serious film? it seemed to get more and more absured, i hope to god the director wasn't taking it seriously when he made it.
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

"..some laughs in the audience .. " ?

The majority of the audience were p***ing themselves!!
When the (now infamous) "hermaphrodite" line was spoken, everybody cracked up!
The same with the breakfast table "occult" question.

I'm sorry, but this was extremely poor.
You can get away with saying that this type of dialogue was part of the charm of giallo in the 70's and 80's, due to dubbing and translation issues, but it doesn't wash in this day and age.
And as for the leading lady's english friend ... I'll say no more.

I wanted to like this. I really did. And for the first half, I thought it would be a winner (the carousel killing, the killer's outfit). But somewhere around the middle act, the script went doo-lally, and it turned into "Carry on Giallo"!

What with this and "Paura", I'll probably think twice about any "giallo" christened films next year...
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I had high hopes for this and while most of the setpieces, especially the opening one, didn't disappoint, unfortunately some of the acting, dubbing and dialogue were so poor that the whole film was undermined. "Shadow" didn't suffer from these problems, so we know Zampaglione can do better, while plenty of the gialli I have seen aren't as badly afflicted as this (although some are I'll admit). Still, I'll give it 7 / 10 for what did work - plus the laughs.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

ummm, one for the giallo fans only I think, talked to people who loved this, but I found it a deeply stupid film.

What is a giallo anyway? Going by my FF experience it would appear to be some arty farty Italian flick full of ridiculous postering, bad acting and deliberately stupid lines, scenes that look like a bad acid trip, and at the end you find out the killer is the most ludicrous choice for a killer imaginable.

Shame the director's gone from making a promising film like Shadow to this drivel.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

I liked it a lot.

To an extent, the sleazy atmosphere and the look were spot on - the murder setpieces felt like authentic giallo to me, the use of music too (although I don't think the musical score was actually very good).

The bad acting, the stupid dialogue, the killer's random identity and ludicrous motive..... laughable as they were, they were also very much in the spirit of '70s gialli. I suspect that was entirely unintentional, but I don't really care to be honest!

Not the best film of the weekend, but certainly one of the most entertaining as far as I'm concerned.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

This movie is highly quotable, but for all the wrong reasons.

There appeared to be a sea-change in the audience, just before the hermaphrodite line (when he talked about his blog on sex clubs) where I felt that the audience changed how the view this film and just went along with its daftness - intended or not.

And whereas everyone appeared to play it straight, the woman playing Joanna (?) the 'English' friend and also the worst dubbed wins an award for being either the best-worst actress or the worst-best actress
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Started off being serious but end up being laughable. I have to say did enjoy this one for the wrong reasons. The script, the acting, the english friend! Did have some good deaths in this one.

Next time I see this will be with a drink in hand.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
streetrw
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by streetrw »

It's baffling that about halfway through some parts of the audience decided to treat the film as if it was Troll 2 or something and started laughing at everything: not just clunky lines of dialogue or overripe dubbing performances, but people picking up a pen or dirnking a glass of water. Yes, some of the acting and dialogue were not good, but some of the audience participation was excessive, misplaced and a distraction for those of us actually watching the movie. Which I actually sort of liked; there are moments where it really does feel like the sort of film its homaging and evoking. And I certainly prefer it to Shadow.

It's merely a question of whether That Character and That Performance were deliberately done badly to better evoke the ropey acting and dubbing of old gialli. I suspect it was, although I could be wrong.

http://streetrw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/tulpa.html
http://streetrw.blogspot.com - For all your occasional film rambling needs.
http://twitter.com/streetrw - For when you really need to know what I had for breakfast.

AND NOW: SKYPE!
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

streetrw wrote:It's baffling that about halfway through some parts of the audience decided to treat the film as if it was Troll 2 It's merely a question of whether That Character and That Performance were deliberately done badly to better evoke the ropey acting and dubbing of old gialli. I suspect it was, although I could be wrong.
I really don't think the director is that clever. I think the style and cinematography were intentional, the dodgy dialogue and acting were accidental!

Whatever the truth, it gave the right end result.