Big Love To Alan, Ian, Greg & Paul But Seriously ....

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
djwoody
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Big Love To Alan, Ian, Greg & Paul But Seriously ....

Post by djwoody »

Just sitting here on Sunday afternoon having some downtime and reflecting on the past few days and posting some reviews on this very
site and realised that to some it will probably look like I'm bitter and a little angry.
I must admit, this year's selection, so far, has been a massive disappointment but I wouldn't be anywhere else.
like the thousands of other fans who come here every year (I'm still a relative 'newbie' - only my 4th FF) and look forward to it for months beforehand, it is one of the highlights of my year.
I do appreciate all the hard work that the guys do every year to bring this all together and being here you can see how much hard work (albeit fun) work it is.
But .... guys, please, more quality and more "horror".

I love you for what you do and am insanely jealous that this is your 'day job' and I just want to come here every year for 5 days and watch some great films that I would not normally get the chance to view.

I do understand the constraints of the 'business' sometimes but this is THE UK premier event for horror fans and has garnered kudos around the world for being one of the best festivals.

I'm now rambling ....... Bring on Sleep Tight ..... Can't wait and let's hope for a good film
Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Re: Big Love To Alan, Ian, Greg & Paul But Seriously ....

Post by Kris »

Where is this years Martyrs or Let The Right One In?

Only sleep tight and rec3 that I have really enjoyed
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

I love Frightfest. It's one of the highlights of my year and "our" Glastonbury.

But, until "Sleep Tight" this evening, I've been hugely underwhelmed by the standard this year. Take a moment to check some of the titles at last year's Frightfest and compare them to what we've seen this year - in truth, there's no comparison.

Between the highlights of "The Seasoning House" and "Sleep Tight", the movies on offer this year (in my humble opinion) have existed in the disappointing territory between poor and mediocre. "Outpost" was OK, sure - but it wouldn't have made it into last year's top 20. And don't get me started on such unmitigated crap as "Hidden in the Woods" or "Paura 3D". For shame, guys!

I accept that there's an element of personal taste to any such criticism and, I must confess, I'll never understand the appeal of giallo - but I have to say that I've been disappointed this year as never before.

Maybe we're just unlucky with timing; maybe there just aren't any movies out there right now that are up to the required standard.

Thank heavens, then, for "Sleep Tight" and "Sinister" - for me, FF13 started today. Fingers crossed for Monday...
Stevey K
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Stevey K »

Whilst I have to perhaps concur slightly with the sentiments expressed here- therein lies the conundrum surely... Apart from the fact of it is obviously down to what might be available etc. personal taste comes in to it also

For me Seasoning House was one of the lowlights... And this is probably why Fright works so well I that you have the disparate taste of the organisers always makes for an interesting and diverse mix of titles - in fact myself and my compatriot - we have been attending since the start - often try and guess who has chosen which films
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Seems a little harsh guys ... :|

I've been going to Frightfest regularly since 2003, and this has been one of the most interesting and quirky festivals.

I caught pretty much all of the main screenings, and the only film that I hated was "Hidden in the woods" (along with everybody else from what I've seen). I disliked "Paura" (too slight a story and overlong) and "After" (not a bad film ... just dull).

Everything else I have thoroughly enjoyed (although I enjoyed "Tulpa" for all the wrong reasons" :mrgreen: ).
"Maniac" was superb. "Chained" was great. "Rec3" was a riot, etc, etc

I'm always grateful that the Frighfest Team make some "out of the box" choices, because there are many films that just would not be on my radar otherwise.
I probably would never have sought out "Sleep Tight" or "American Mary", but these turned out to be two of my favourite films!
I inwardly groaned when I saw the amount of UK/Irish films this year, but these have turned out to be the most enjoyable for me, and I should stop being a cynic.

The guys have a tough job to get the balance right, and I think we should bear that in mind.
Alan did acknowledge the feedback during the closing film tonight.

For instance, I absolutely loved "Eurocrime", but I know that some people moaned that it wasn't horror.
(NB: In which case, check out the sections on "kid killings" and "p*ss-torture"! Seriously!).
So it's always going to be a balancing act.

I personally thought that overall it was a great line-up this year and a huge success and I will continue to place my trust in the boys and their choices.

My name's Terry Tibbs. Much Love. Good Night. :D
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Interesting thread this and pretty much mirrors my feeling regarding this years festival.

This was number 8 for me and as I was really disappointed with the overall standard.

Admittedly as others have pointed out its all a matter of personal taste but I felt there was so much mediocre stuff this year.

That having being said I'll still be back for more.

Big thanks to the guys as usual for organising it though, roll on next year.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

I enjoyed Fright Fest as much as ever this year, and saw a few staggeringly good films, but I have to agree the general quality seemed a step down from last year.

The festival only really got going for me around late Saturday/Sunday time when the quality of the films improved. There seemed to be quite a bit of filler on the main screen this year - the tedious and horribly overlong version of Nightbreed, an utterly unforgettable film in utterly unnecessary 3D in Paura, Hidden In The Woods which it seems everyone hated, the horribly sentimental and gloopy After, and a lot of pure filler like The Thompsons, Under The Bed, Dead Sushi, Outpost 2, The Possession, etc.

Confusingly though, the Discovery Screen seemed remarkably strong this year, and a lot of the films on there were far better than most of the main screen films, and as most FF goers only go to the main screen, I think the festival would have benefited greatly from some excellent Discovery films like We Are The Night, Remants, Guinea Pigs, The Inside and Before Dawn being shown in the main screen, and the more disposable main screen films like Outpost 2, Hidden In The Woods The Thompsons, After, Nightbreed and Berberian Sound Studio being moved to the Discovery Screen. It just seemed bizarre that a large number of really good films were getting a tiny audience and at the same time a number of poor films were on the huge screen!

Another good year at FF, it's always a blast, but will be hoping for an improvement in the quality next year.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Stephen with ph »

Wolfshade wrote:I enjoyed Fright Fest as much as ever this year, and saw a few staggeringly good films, but I have to agree the general quality seemed a step down from last year.

The festival only really got going for me around late Saturday/Sunday time when the quality of the films improved. There seemed to be quite a bit of filler on the main screen this year - the tedious and horribly overlong version of Nightbreed, an utterly unforgettable film in utterly unnecessary 3D in Paura, Hidden In The Woods which it seems everyone hated, the horribly sentimental and gloopy After, and a lot of pure filler like The Thompsons, Under The Bed, Dead Sushi, Outpost 2, The Possession, etc.

Confusingly though, the Discovery Screen seemed remarkably strong this year, and a lot of the films on there were far better than most of the main screen films, and as most FF goers only go to the main screen, I think the festival would have benefited greatly from some excellent Discovery films like We Are The Night, Remants, Guinea Pigs, The Inside and Before Dawn being shown in the main screen, and the more disposable main screen films like Outpost 2, Hidden In The Woods The Thompsons, After, Nightbreed and Berberian Sound Studio being moved to the Discovery Screen. It just seemed bizarre that a large number of really good films were getting a tiny audience and at the same time a number of poor films were on the huge screen!

Another good year at FF, it's always a blast, but will be hoping for an improvement in the quality next year.
Seconded. Sunday and Monday rescued the weekend for me.

I'll be here again next year, of course - and I'll happily queue for hours for that privilege!

Maybe we've just been spoiled over the last few years, or maybe it's just a matter of personal preference that that I found the last few FFs so uniformly wonderful. Maybe I should have sampled the Discovery screen this year - but it's always been my way to turn up at the main screen without having read anything about the forthcoming movie other than its start time, and trust that I'll be pleasantly surprised. It's an approach that served me well in all previous years.

And please be assured: there's certainly no personal slight intended in any of these comments. Frightfest would be nothing without the efforts of Alan, Paul, Ian and Greg, and I remain profoundly grateful that it exists.
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Funnily enough one guy I was chatting to yesterday said that the 'Discovery' screen feels a lot more frightfesty these days, with the main screen seeming to having to show more bums on seats mainstream kind of films.

I think next year I might investigate the discovery screen a lot more.

Must admit I really enjoyed the two hammer films I saw.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Yeah...I think the line up was lacking in parts.

Thursday was a bit of a let down.
Friday was an odd day, Nightbreed and the Argento interview where not to everyone's tastes I'm sure and quite a slow start to the day - although I loved both. Picked up pace after VHS and Rec 3.
Saturday was rubbish except for Maniac - the rest of it really wasn't good (Paura was OK) - if I'd just bought a Saturday ticket I would have been pretty pissed off.
Sunday was ace. This is when it started to properly pick up.
Monday was fairly good.

There did seem to be a lot of filler and quite a few films I walked out of: Under the Bed, Outpost, Hidden in the Woods.

Still, there was some fucking ace films: VHS, BSS, Maniac, Chained, American Mary, Sleep Tight.

Basically, they need to get rid of most of the British rubbish :wink:

Roll on next year.
brad1000
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by brad1000 »

wow guys .If you want to be critical about the quality of programing then go ahead.You dont have to counter balance the karma by saying you will still go next year anyway and the boys are great and other stuff.
Without direct honest criticism mediocre direct to D.V.D dross like outpost 2 ( come on guys whats the excuse for showing this) will darken the main screen at frightfest.
They have all year and a massive network of contacts plus accsess to all the best genre festivals and outpost 2 is the best they can do for our bucks ?? Lazy , just plain lazy programming.
Ive been vocal on here before on this issue , but its because i care about this festival.Every movie has the potential to be disliked/liked subject to personal taste but not one second of main screen festival time should be wasted on films that are universally recognised as being poor or even worse creatively mediocre, a crime thats unforgivable within our beloved genre.
Must do better is the verdict i'm afraid.
the house shot her !!!
Biohazard
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Biohazard »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been to 5 FFs now but this one really tested my loyalty and I may have well to skip it next year. Saturday in particular was appalling - other than Maniac, frankly I just want that time back :(
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

With the exception of a very poor Saturday (excluding the book-ends of Eurocrime and Maniac) I thought the festival was overall better than last year.

Looking at my 5 star ratings comparing this year to last, on average 2012 scored 3.26 compared to 2.75 in 2011. I haven't gone back to the previous FF's but I imagine they were higher.

There were not that many 5 star films last year, only Innkeepers, Kill List, Tucker and Dale, and The Woman were stand out for me. Whereas VHS, Maniac, Eurocrime, Sleep Tight, Sinister, American Mary, Chained and Tower Block were all top notch. In my humble opinion of course...
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

brad1000 wrote:wow guys .If you want to be critical about the quality of programing then go ahead.You dont have to counter balance the karma by saying you will still go next year anyway and the boys are great and other stuff.
Without direct honest criticism mediocre direct to D.V.D dross like outpost 2 ( come on guys whats the excuse for showing this) will darken the main screen at frightfest.
They have all year and a massive network of contacts plus accsess to all the best genre festivals and outpost 2 is the best they can do for our bucks ?? Lazy , just plain lazy programming.
Ive been vocal on here before on this issue , but its because i care about this festival.Every movie has the potential to be disliked/liked subject to personal taste but not one second of main screen festival time should be wasted on films that are universally recognised as being poor or even worse creatively mediocre, a crime thats unforgivable within our beloved genre.
Must do better is the verdict i'm afraid.
I am assuming that Outpost was shown as a contractual thing, so that The Possession and/or Tower Block could be shown on closing night...thank you Lionsgate.
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Jekyll wrote:Funnily enough one guy I was chatting to yesterday said that the 'Discovery' screen feels a lot more frightfesty these days, with the main screen seeming to having to show more bums on seats mainstream kind of films.

I think next year I might investigate the discovery screen a lot more.
Yes I was thinking something similar - how about an alternative w/e or day pass for Discovery only? Probably an inevitable feature of Frightfest getting bigger/more successful/more commercial every year. I think theres always going to be the problem that everyones taste is different and if you try to please all of the people all of the time then youre on a hiding to nothing. My own experience - 10th fest, weekend pass for 9 and a couple of day passes this time - was that on the whole I did enjoy it but there were no real stand out 10/10 knockouts this year eg nothing of the calibre of Let the Right One In. In my experience every year theres usually been movies I absolutely loved every second of and those I've utterly hated, seemed to be a lot more middling OKs this year - maybe that just reflects the quality of whats available - dont know, I'm no expert. My memorable movie this year was Tulpa - but for all the wrong reasons ;)