American Mary

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

American Mary

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - really enjoyed this one. Wrong in all the right ways.
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: American Mary

Post by Dom »

Judging by the twitter feed it went down very well. Gutted I couldn't make it today but hooray for Universal!
mike108
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by mike108 »

Loved this, really well done and slightly unusual subject matter, plus the twins get the award for most enthusiastic guests of the weekend. And the squeakiest.
Buffalobill
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Buffalobill »

Excellent movie, really enjoyed this one. Slightly far fetched with the disintegration of Mary's character from a sweet student to a totally insane butcher over night but who cares about that! :D
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

A complete surprise this and ended up being my fave film of the festival.

The twins strike me as being slightly bat shit crazy and I must check out the other stuff they have done as well as whatever they do in the future.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Really enjoyed it - certainly my favourite film from Monday. The twins were great value in the q+a too.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Great film - so stylish, sexy and slick. Katherine Isabelle was perfect for the role of Mary seemed like she was having a blast playing her; the character does flip out quite quickly from dedicted medical student to derranged body altering psycho, but it was so much fun I'll allow it that. Had some quite disturbing moments too (not the body mod stuff, seen that many times before) - the characters of Beatrice and her friend who wanted to be a doll were genuinely quite creepy.

Found the Soska sisters to be a bit annoying, kind of like a female version of Jedward, but you have to admire their enthusiasm I guess!
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

enjoyed Mary but found the middle a bit long and the end a bit short, I didn't get how the rapist expected to get away with what he was doing?
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

They obviously do those parties a lot, and he (mistakenly) thought she had turned to prostitution and at very least he knew she was desperate for money. Given the arrogance, I was prepared to believe he thought he would get away with it even if it got to court.

I liked this film a lot.
Sensitive depiction of the body modification people, which is not something I would naturally have gone for, having my perspective mostly informed by CSI ;-)
Quite a strong lead character even in that short section when she was on her way down.
Mentioned on Twitter that it was the prettiest revenge film ever, but actually edited out the word "rape" to avoid spoilers.
That scene was also shown in a way that did not glamourise or use it to shock. It just looked horrible because we knew what it was.
And a tragic ending rather than a redemption or retribution.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A fun, humorous movie, albeit with some more disturbing scenes, that reminded a little of The Loved Ones, in this latest effort from the crazy Soska sisters. A well told tale with some squirmy and gory moments that blended surgery and body modification in an entertaining romp. Fans of Katharine Isabelle will lap this one up. After this accomplished effort it will be interesting to see what the twins do next. 8 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

One of my top 5's of the festival. Found the subject matter fascinating, I have to say :) and Katherine Isabelle gives a bravura performance. 9 / 10
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

For me there were a lot of films with breasts in this year and seemingly, as the nipples of the first patient were removed, so was the nudity from the rest of the programme.

Anyway, I digress. Katharine Isabelle was quite stunning in the lead role (and equally as stunning in the Pheonix Artist Club later that night).

The twins are a breath of fresh air too, I can appreciate some might find the irritating, but why spend millions on PR, just give these two some Red Bull and I feel they can sell anything they care about.

Great film but I felt it tailed massively at the end, which I'm trying not to let blight my opinion of a film I enjoyed a lot.
lupogirl
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by lupogirl »

Always get a bit worried, when word of mouth says a film would be good. I really enjoyed this, certainly a eye opener. Nicely paced. The twin directors were superb at the Q & A.
"We Who Walk Here Walk Alone"
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

TheDukeAbides wrote:Great film but I felt it tailed massively at the end, which I'm trying not to let blight my opinion of a film I enjoyed a lot.
Agreed. I was thoroughly enjoying it, but with about half an hour to go it seemed to hit a brick wall and collapse into a series of disjointed scenes which seemed barely connected to each other. The actual ending felt like they'd used the first idea which popped into their heads, just to wrap things up quickly.

Still, good fun and a good Q&A too.
GeorgeCaplin
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by GeorgeCaplin »

The Soapmaker wrote:
TheDukeAbides wrote:Great film but I felt it tailed massively at the end, which I'm trying not to let blight my opinion of a film I enjoyed a lot.
Agreed. I was thoroughly enjoying it, but with about half an hour to go it seemed to hit a brick wall and collapse into a series of disjointed scenes which seemed barely connected to each other. The actual ending felt like they'd used the first idea which popped into their heads, just to wrap things up quickly.

Still, good fun and a good Q&A too.
**possible spoilers**

I really liked this film, loved the idea of the story. Loved how it was shot, very mature and finished look to it, high standard.

I do agree though the 'twist' ending was somewhat of a let down for the film. Maybe if they hadn't shown the scene with 'barbie' opening her robe to her bloke and him getting angry it could have been handled better. Loved the self surgery though.

Hats off the cast and film makers for having a sexy dance scene that almost is up there with Salma Hayek's snake charm in From Dusk Til Dawn.

My only other niggle with this film was maybe (I can't believe I am saying this) it was too sexy. I think I would have preferred the character Mary to be maybe a little more down to earth, less glam and sexy. More meek and inside herself. So instead of her bulling college prof just thinking she had turned to selling herself it would have been a control thing, that he thinks he can get away with it because she wasn't a strong character, then the rape knocks her more over the edge. It would have made the Club owners infatuation with her a little more solid in the way that he might see someone who is different from his world. But as I said it was a niggle.

Also loved the moment between her and the thug over milkshakes.