Tower Block

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Tower Block

Post by jonbly »

7/10 - but jonbly's really struggling to tell what's holding this one back for him. Maybe it's the initially unlikable characters?
Last edited by jonbly on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen with ph
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: Tower Block

Post by Stephen with ph »

Simple but effective.

An excellent finale!
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Enjoyed this one loads. Basically Assault On Precinct 13 in a tower block.

That said, why on earth didn't one of the residents try kicking open a door to one of the flats on the opposite side of the corridor and using one of the windows there to lower the fire hose to the ground? In fact, I don't recall even seeing any doors on the opposite side of the corridor but, well, it's a tower block isn't it? Since when do they only have windows on just one side of the building?!?
sherbetbizarre
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by sherbetbizarre »

Didn't enjoy this, and it looked ugly too - what was with the muted colours so everything was a dull shade of green?
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Found this to be a pretty lame ending, quite a dull film, only slightly brightened up every so often by Curtis's witty quips.

It was so obviously the sniper was going to be the policeman because, well....he was the only other character in the film!!!

Yes, this was quite a strange tower block that only had rooms on one side of the corridor!!! Also, if everyone had adhered to the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" philosophy regarding the dead kid, then how did the policeman know the 2 guys at the end of the corridor were responsible and implicated them by drawing the symbol on their door, if the other residents had given him no evidence???

Still no decent closing film since 2007 unfortunately...
Jekyll
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Jekyll »

Didnt see quite what this was doing at frightfest.

Very unlikeable characters who you didnt really care about.

And please, no more stupid decisions by charcaters in films.

I mean we go down to the ground floor, we cant get out, so lets

a) go back up to the roof and abseil using fire hoses tied together

b) my suggession. Break one of the flat windows on the ground floor on the opposite side to to sniper and get out that way.

Jeez seriously.

Very average.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Jekyll wrote:Didnt see quite what this was doing at frightfest.

Very unlikeable characters who you didnt really care about.

And please, no more stupid decisions by charcaters in films.

I mean we go down to the ground floor, we cant get out, so lets

a) go back up to the roof and abseil using fire hoses tied together

b) my suggession. Break one of the flat windows on the ground floor on the opposite side to to sniper and get out that way.

Jeez seriously.

Very average.
I skipped this last one - glad I did now. Didn't fancy a swear British urban thriller.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Some good laughs to be had and it was reasonably fun provided you could force yourself to ignore the rather enormous logistical holes alluded to on previous posts.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Wolfshade wrote:...how did the policeman know the 2 guys at the end of the corridor were responsible and implicated them by drawing the symbol on their door, if the other residents had given him no evidence???
Oh, there's a big difference between knowing who committed a crime, and being able to prove it in court.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

jonbly wrote:
Wolfshade wrote:...how did the policeman know the 2 guys at the end of the corridor were responsible and implicated them by drawing the symbol on their door, if the other residents had given him no evidence???
Oh, there's a big difference between knowing who committed a crime, and being able to prove it in court.
Yes, but there's no evidence in the build up to show he knows or has any hunches whatsoever - he seems to have no idea whatsoever when talking to the residents and his colleagues.

And surely that exposes another plot hole - if he knows who did it why not just kill them rather than the entire block?
chary
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by chary »

didn't really like this one, I couldn't get over how far-fetched the main story was and how unlikeable the characters were. There surely must be easier ways to kill everyone on the top floor then what he came up with and were those webcams he put on the guns he put behind the doors? how was he getting picture from them?
Marko
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Marko »

chary wrote:didn't really like this one, I couldn't get over how far-fetched the main story was and how unlikeable the characters were. There surely must be easier ways to kill everyone on the top floor then what he came up with and were those webcams he put on the guns he put behind the doors? how was he getting picture from them?

not webcams, but motion sensers, like the ones you install in your house for burglar alarms.

rigged up to the gun to trigger the shot.
Scrof the Return
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Scrof the Return »

Good choice for a closing movie IMO. A real tension filled crowd pleaser despite the plot holes. What didn't work for me was that it was so obvious from the get go as to who the sniper was and I'm not generally good at guesssing these things! 7 / 10
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

Really liked this film . But like others had said . Kept thinking why they never went out a back window through another apartment . But on reflection that tower block never had any . :?
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Looking back you see massive plot holes - at the time (and maybe also the place) I was taken along by it.

All the characters ending up being sympathetic and that is want you want in a tail of survival.

Been done better beforehand but very good nonetheless.