Massive Thanks

The rotting remains of 2012's festival
Reanimator
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Massive Thanks

Post by Reanimator »

Big thanks to Alan, Paul, Ian and Greg for another fantastic Frightfest. Loads of movies and guests and surprises as always. Lots of thanks also to the Empire staff, volunteers and helpers. Stand out film for me was Sleep Tight, closely followed by American Mary and Chained. Roll on FF14.
Dom
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: Massive Thanks

Post by Dom »

So far me and my mate have only taken in one day, this was our fifth year visiting and it's always fun so thanks for continuing to put on a cool event.
deny_conformity
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by deny_conformity »

Another thanks to the guys from me, it's our third year and we'd love to keep coming back as long as they keep running it. I found all the films great overall and even the weakest film I saw was worth watching (Berberian Sound Studio - pretty much flawless acting, fantastic cinematography and amazing sound, I just didn't get it). My favourite film was American Mary, closely followed by Maniac and Sleep Tight. I think for our group it's been one of the strongest yet, even the worst film was still worth watching :o).
jerichodark
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by jerichodark »

Big thanks from me to everybody involved, my 5th year and I love it every time.
satanslittlehelper
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by satanslittlehelper »

Can't thank the guys enough. I cannot imagine how much hard work goes into arranging everything each year, all for our viewing pleasure.
"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath - would you be standing in the horror section?"
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Thanks to all for making my Aug Bank holiday weekend entertaining for the 10th year in a row :)
Wulfster
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Wulfster »

Many thanks to Team GB ("Gore & Blood" as Alan stated this year).
Guys, you may have some criticism around the choices, but overall for me this was another blinding year.
Thanks for everything and I will see you all at the same place and time next year!
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Yeah, huge thanks as always lads. I've done all thirteen years worth and there have always been movies that didn't work (for me) or else didn't quite seem to fit into the traditional 'horror' category (Oldboy, The Living and The Dead, The Horseman etc all of which I loved). I personally wouldn't change any of it. Keep giving us loads of variation and the occasional non horror offering. As long as they've got that Frightfest vibe then they'll find their admirers. This year was a good 'un for me. Out of the 22 films I saw I'd say I rated 12 of them from 7/10 upwards. And only 2 of the remainder dropped below 5/10. In other words, 2 stinkers, 8 average and 12 that were well worth all the late nights and lack of sleep. I don't get that sort of success rate in my normal trips to the cinema each month so it was worth every penny! Roll on next year :D
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Thanks to all involved.

Alan, Paul, Ian and Greg.

The people in the red t-shirts.

Staff at the Empire (especially that one very attractive lady).

And to all the attendees, especially those who were sat next to me.
AdeBrown
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by AdeBrown »

Where were you sat, Duke A'bides ?

Just want to know if I am being left out.
:-)

It seems like it's that time of year when the complaints thread outdoes the praise & thanks thread, and so once again:
Personally, I don't want a festival of similar films that I'd go and see anyway, I want to be presented with stuff that challenges too.

Alan, Ian and Paul work especially hard all weekend.
But all of the volunteers and people who are working behind the scenes (some of whom are friends I hardly saw this year!).
The cinema staff really join in too.

The film makers and actors etc who took the time to come along and mix with us (and switch off their mobile phones, presumably because they had been warned about last time !)

And the folks who agreed, argued and looked slightly askance at our opinions on the films.
My livejournal Frightfest reports from days gone by (2004 to 2011)
http://surprisetruck.livejournal.com/tag/frightfest
soberdave72@hotmail.com
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by soberdave72@hotmail.com »

Another Brilliant Frightfest,

Huge Thanks to Ian, Paul, Alan and Greg for organising another Amazing Festival.

The Guy's introductions and after film QA's really make this festival special.

Eclectic Mix of films with five absolutely Brilliant, Chained, Tower Block, Maniac, Sleep Tight and Sinister.

Cannot understand the fans who moan about film choices on these pages, surely that is the whole point of a film festival, you wouldn't go to Glastonbury and expect to love every band. You have got to have some duffers, it adds to the fun and argument afterwards at the bar.

Despite what the moaners say, never change the way, you guys select the films, the varied mix is what makes Frightfest so great! Where else can you see films as diverse as Chained to the hiliarious Stitches ! (the surprise of the festival, and it achieved the impossible, made me like Ross Noble, bloody great intro's on two nights)

Awesome Job by everybody concerned, and roll on Halloween.

Dave, Swindon (seat N32)
rawshark
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by rawshark »

As ever, a huge thanks to all the big four - Alan, Paul, Ian and Greg - and the many, many people who put a lot of work into putting a festival of this size together.

From watching submissions, to programming the event, making the brochure, inviting the guests, co-ordinating travel, ensuring there are seamless additional surprises (such as Alex Garland introducing footage from Dredd, or Simon Pegg presenting Greg Nicotero with the Variety Award), to enlisting and managing the volunteers - a lot of work goes into these things, and I saw mostly smiling faces from the fellow fans all weekend.

Sure, we can all disagree on the selections (I would have definitely like to have seen some swaps between main and Discovery for instance), but we do have the choice to miss a big screen for a smaller 'discovery'. And the addition of the rediscovery screen was a great idea, and widened options well. I only managed one screening there, but Bride of Frankenstein did look amazing and it was great that it was packed out too. Maybe more of that next year with a range of cool, culty films that rarely get seen (Night of the Creeps anyone?)

So yes, thanks to organisers, the volunteers, Empire cinema staff, distributors, filmmakers and guests - I had a great time this year as ever! :D
It's horrible... I love it... What is it?
crystalake84
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by crystalake84 »

Big thanks and well done to all the guys, this was my first frightfest and I had a great time. I will definitely be back next year.
drippingpaint
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by drippingpaint »

Got to agree was a great FF this year for me.

Everyone did a fab job and after 6 years i think i'm finally used to the variety in quality and themes in the films on offer

Will be back next year

:D seat E37
"Well, by God Brian! I guess that makes us murderers!"
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A massive thanks to Alan, Ian, Paul and Greg, plus also to the Empire staff who really joined in, the helpers, guests and the audience, who all combined to create another superb fest.

Only two films scored below 7 for me, so that demonstrates the quality of the line-up. Well done!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.