Food Feedback

Have your say on what you would like to see new, changed or just kept the same at the next FrightFest.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Food Feedback

Post by TheDukeAbides »

The Leon De Bruxelles Belgian restaurant was quite nice.

I had some very nice meats, nice mussels and a quality half of the house Belgian beer (6%).

25% off turned out to be the eventual deal, with a 6th meal free (up to £20).

It was a good deal, even at 25%. The food was good and I counted a fair few FFers there when I was so hopefully it was a successful venture.

But 5 meals, even "only" 1 a day, to claim the 6th free, it pushing it with the breaks that were allotted (if you want to watch everything) and it is still a bit of a walk there and back to add on.

Quick service mind and pleasant staff.

Herman ze German was OK too - though the staff (Old Compton St) when I went had no clue about the offer, which seeing as their twitter feed kept pushing the 20% off was a bit of a joke not to inform their staff in the run up.
Donut
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Re: Food Feedback

Post by Donut »

Or indeed for their staff not to give said 20% discount.
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

I loved Herman Ze German, the Villiers Street branch were pretty clued up. I went there almost everyday of my 8 day stay in London, I even bought the t shirt. One of the staff who was possibly Italian asked if I was Scottish (I am) and I'm still unsure if it was my accent or the fact I was having chips with my breakfast that gave me away.
BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good veggie places or restaurants catering to both meat eaters (for my friends) and veggies placed near Leicester Square. I am a West Londoner so God only knows why I haven't found a place yet, but I haven't. Last time I was at Fright Fest I was an omnivore and it was easier to find food, but still a struggle to find really nice well priced food.

Im on a healthy eating crusade now so Bean Burgers and Chips at Burger King are no longer an option.

Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thanks :)
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BABYJANE: BUT YOU ARE BLANCHE! YOU ARE IN THAT CHAIR!
Bearded Avenger
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Bearded Avenger »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good veggie places or restaurants catering to both meat eaters (for my friends) and veggies placed near Leicester Square. I am a West Londoner so God only knows why I haven't found a place yet, but I haven't. Last time I was at Fright Fest I was an omnivore and it was easier to find food, but still a struggle to find really nice well priced food.

Im on a healthy eating crusade now so Bean Burgers and Chips at Burger King are no longer an option.

I just use Tripadvisor when I go anwhere (although for burger. mexican and beer suggestions as opposed to vegetarian food!) and not been disappointed. Here's there vege list, which can be sorted by area:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by Malky »

BabyJaneHudson wrote:Hey everyone

There is a wee market stall outside a Co-Op on Berwick Street which is about 5-7min from the Vue. I'm rather fond of their falafel. Dunno if its what your looking for exactly but it might be an ideal lunch stop. There is also a Pret a Manger either side of the Vue
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Bearded Avenger wrote: I just use Tripadvisor when I go anwhere (although for burger. mexican and beer suggestions as opposed to vegetarian food!) and not been disappointed. Here's there vege list, which can be sorted by area:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant ... gland.html
Thanks for the list. :) Will have a good look through. My friend found a Veggie Indian called Sagar in Covent Garden. Looks really nice, but by the time we walk up there after Worry Dolls, wait, eat and get back we might miss the start of III. Was thinking China Town, but the service is so terrible there. Love the bakery though and their red bean cakes.
BLANCHE: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair!

BabyJaneHudson
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by BabyJaneHudson »

Malky wrote:
There is a wee market stall outside a Co-Op on Berwick Street which is about 5-7min from the Vue. I'm rather fond of their falafel. Dunno if its what your looking for exactly but it might be an ideal lunch stop. There is also a Pret a Manger either side of the Vue

If we ditch the Sagar Indian Veggie idea and abandon China Town with its dreadful service then a quick falafel would be perfect. Berwick Street is very close so we may well pop down there. We were thinking we may have to grab something quickly just to keep ourselves going. Not much time between III and Jeruzalem unfortunately. Pret is fine, I know where that is, but it is so expensive. You can spend £20 and get one salad, tea a pastry and not much else. I would love some lebanese mezzo with the falafels, that would suit me down to the ground Mmmm Im getting hungry. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Kris
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Kris »

All I will say is: STOCKPOT
Horror fan and avid tea drinker, to discuss the merits of all of the Friday the 13th movies over a nice cup of Assam. Contributor to http://www.realreelscares.com
grzegorz
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by grzegorz »

sadly with each FrightFest there is fewer and fewer veg*an places in London (not that those two are related) - gone are vegan all you can eat for #6, some burger places and such, but still few spots left

have a look here: http://www.veganlondon.co.uk/where-to-eat-london.html

and Happy Cow list places that are veg friendly while serving meat: http://www.happycow.net/europe/england/london/
Sue77
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Sue77 »

There is a super Chinese café behind the Vue/Empire cinemas. It's closer to the Empire end of the street.

You can get a huge bowl of freshly made noodle soup with either tofu, barbeque pork or chicken (£5.90 last year - it's a compete meal), they also do a variety of steamed buns etc.

As you walk from the Vue, you would take the first left up the side of the building, cross the next road then take the next left (if I remember correctly :) ). As you walk down, from halfway, look for a very unassuming café to your right.
Last edited by Sue77 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

Sue77 wrote:There is a super Chinese café behind the Vue/Empire cinemas. It's closer to the Empire end of the street.
Good tip, thanks. :)

Anyone know anywhere good for breakfast? Somewhere that has more choice than just a fry-up?
LeighM
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LeighM »

It's National Burger Day tomorrow! As such, loads of places in London are offering 20% off their food menu so if anyone is looking for pre FF eats - have a look here http://nationalburgerday.co.uk/

Personally I'd recommend a visit to Honest Burger in Soho, they're incredible.

http://nationalburgerday.co.uk/venue/ho ... rgers-soho
LeighM
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by LeighM »

A couple of other recommendations for the rest of the weekend:

http://benitos-hat.com/menu/ - Mexican! Benito’s Hat works the same as Tortilla/Chipotle – build your own burrito. A nice and easy grab and go option that is only a 5 minute walk from Vue.

http://www.pepe-food.com/ - Pizza & Pasta! I found this place last year, just around the corner from Benito’s Hat. They serve freshly made pasta dishes that you can get in a takeaway box. The one I tried was pretty good and I’ll be going back this year to try some others.