My top and bottom 3

Taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend, August 27th - 31st 2015
Malky
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Re: My top and bottom 3

Post by Malky »

Jon H wrote: Final Girl was hyped up before the festival but I’ve heard almost nothing about it – I didn’t see it myself – was it any good?
Not really. It's average at best. If it comes to Netflix it wuld be worth 90min of your time but I won't go further than that.
powerpopkid
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by powerpopkid »

Only managed to catch about 12 films but

TOP 3

1. Body
2. Jeruzalem
3. Summer Camp

BOTTOM 3

1. Some Kind of Hate
2. Most Likely To Die
3. Hellions
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

DJBenz wrote:My feelings about the line-up overall were that there was very little that was truly awful (Cheery Tree and Hellions excepted), but a lot that was just kinda middle of the road, neither awful nor brilliant and Inner Demon fell into that category for me.
Agreed! thought line up was pretty flat tbh. Nina Forever, They Look Like People, We are Still Here and Deathgasm easily best of festival and really liked Night Fare but nothing that blew me away, just a lot of filler. And not even anything that was that bad (only walked out of Bite and Demonic and I usually walk out of way more haha). Just loads of ok stuff. Give me Nyphm over Shut In or Hellions any day of the week :lol:
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

top 3.........
1 land mine goes click.
2 a christmas horror story
3 nina forever.

crap of the fest....
1 inner demon
2 bait
3 turbo kidd....if it had a great 80's soundtrack it would have worked weirdly but other wise...........crap..........sorry i know people liked this but i paid my money and crap.
MrsBBC
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by MrsBBC »

17 films, and pulled from my IMDB rating;

Top 4
Landmine Goes Click
Remake, Remix, Ripoff
Turbo Kid
Deathgasm

Bottom 3
Suspension
Hellions
Cherry Tree

There were a lot of tough film clashes, and unfortunately work interrupted a few afternoons/evenings.
It would be easy to write a missed list of at least 10 films.
grindhouse83
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by grindhouse83 »

Of the films I saw,
My Top 3 are:

We Are Still Here - a brilliantly fun and funny throwback; it was scary (I jumped out my seat more than once - I hate basements!), had an excellent cast clearly relishing the material, and I loved the atmosphere, the intentionally awful decor and costumes, the hilariously frosty townsfolk and the truly disturbing ghost design... 8.5/10

Howl - every bit as good as I'd hoped after seeing the Feb preview in Glasgow; another terrific British werewolf film! The cast were excellent on-screen (bringing layers and depth to potentially stock characters) and were all absolutely delightful in person. The sound, cinematography and creature design were terrific, and I can't wait to see what the clearly versatile Paul Hyett does next... 8.5/10

Night Fare - what a sexy-looking film this was; mean, lean & suspenseful 7.5/10

I didn't dislike any of the films, but have to admit to being a little disappointed with Tales of Halloween - it had bags of laughs, was fun, looked great and had a nicely sinister atmosphere; but all the segments were pretty similar in tone, and it didn't really attempt to scare at any point 6/10

*I only caught 7 films at the festival (my first time in London!), but from what I saw it was a terrifically organised event. I would love to see some of the more polished elements from London, brought to the Glasgow festival; loved the glossy festival programme - great reading and keepsake, the choice and variety of films was incredible. I enjoyed the music between films, merchandise stalls and being able to get my hands on postcards/posters without racing to the front of the theatre :D
Lucio Frizzi
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Lucio Frizzi »

I've got to agree with some of the posters on here regarding the quality of films this year. Perhaps it's me getting old but there was nothing this year that really excited me (I certainly wasn't disturbed or horrified at any point). Again, like others have noted, there was nothing truly terrible but nothing truly great either. I usually determine whether it was a good year by the number of films I would purchase and up to now (bearing in mind I obviously haven't seen everything) I'm struggling to find one.

I think my favourite quote of the weekend was Alan describing Emelie as "the best film we've got this weekend"...I worry about him sometimes.
I know there may be some contractual thing going on here, seeing as its a launch title for the Frightfest Film label but I hope this is not the start of a worrying trend, as it seems a lot of the better films are now being hidden away on Discovery screens to make way for shockingly poor choices on the main screen.

Also, there seemed to be a few films that could be argued aren't really horror: Nightfare, Bait (essentially a feature length soap opera plotline with a bit more violence, but I suppose the director is sticking to what he knows) and Rabid Dogs. In addition there were also quite a few films that were so generic and lacking in any originality or logic they were an insult to the intelligence: Curve, Slumlord, Emelie, Shut In, Some Kind Of Hate and The Lazarus Effect spring to mind. Lazy film-making at best.

I'm hoping that once I manage to see the rest of the films shown this year then I may change my opinion somewhat, as there may be a good weekend's worth of films in there somewhere. Perhaps that may be part of the problem for me, they are trying to show "too many films" over the weekend and if they streamlined it a bit the line up would possibly be a lot stronger. I know a lot of people thought it was a strong weekend anyway, so as ever it's all subjective but for me personally its suppossed to be a horror film festival and I think a feeling of slight unease at least once or twice over five days isn't too much to ask. Like I say, perhaps I'm getting old...
There's no heaven up there, we'll have to make heaven down here.
morralex
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by morralex »

Lucio Frizzi wrote:I've got to agree with some of the posters on here regarding the quality of films this year. Perhaps it's me getting old but there was nothing this year that really excited me (I certainly wasn't disturbed or horrified at any point). Again, like others have noted, there was nothing truly terrible but nothing truly great either. I usually determine whether it was a good year by the number of films I would purchase and up to now (bearing in mind I obviously haven't seen everything) I'm struggling to find one.

I think my favourite quote of the weekend was Alan describing Emelie as "the best film we've got this weekend"...I worry about him sometimes.
I know there may be some contractual thing going on here, seeing as its a launch title for the Frightfest Film label but I hope this is not the start of a worrying trend, as it seems a lot of the better films are now being hidden away on Discovery screens to make way for shockingly poor choices on the main screen.

Also, there seemed to be a few films that could be argued aren't really horror: Nightfare, Bait (essentially a feature length soap opera plotline with a bit more violence, but I suppose the director is sticking to what he knows) and Rabid Dogs. In addition there were also quite a few films that were so generic and lacking in any originality or logic they were an insult to the intelligence: Curve, Slumlord, Emelie, Shut In, Some Kind Of Hate and The Lazarus Effect spring to mind. Lazy film-making at best.

I'm hoping that once I manage to see the rest of the films shown this year then I may change my opinion somewhat, as there may be a good weekend's worth of films in there somewhere. Perhaps that may be part of the problem for me, they are trying to show "too many films" over the weekend and if they streamlined it a bit the line up would possibly be a lot stronger. I know a lot of people thought it was a strong weekend anyway, so as ever it's all subjective but for me personally its suppossed to be a horror film festival and I think a feeling of slight unease at least once or twice over five days isn't too much to ask. Like I say, perhaps I'm getting old...
To be honest, I'm not bothered about whether they are horror films but totally agree with you, nothing that had much of an impact. Most I got was with Nina Forever and TLLP, as they were only films that had any emotional depth.

Also, Alan Jones intro'd The Rotten Link as his favourite of the festival on the Friday!

Actually a bit annoyed I missed Rabid Dogs....