The Windmill Massacre

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2016
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

The Windmill Massacre

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - Proper horror movie. Nice montage setting up the group.
Oswald Cobblepot
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Re: The Windmill Massacre

Post by Oswald Cobblepot »

From the off you could tell this had been put together with care and attention. All the characters were interesting and well written, some good dialogue, and nice payoff kills. I was thinking of Dr Terror's House of Horror or Tales from the Crypt while I was watching it, so nice to hear this was what they were going for too.

When I saw 'From the Makers of Frankenstein's Army' on the poster my heart sunk, but this was a pleasant surprise.
HairyMart
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by HairyMart »

It knew what it was going for and did it well - a "nice" way to start the day.

Would have liked to have know what was above the trapdoor
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

A good old-fashioned slasher,
Spoiler:
The Devil's Nightmare in the bulb fields!
Some will say it is run-of-the-mill (!), but I found it quite entertaining with a nice range of characters, even if it is a fairly simple story where even those not familiar with the subgenre will probably guess the twists before they happen.

7.5 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
DJBenz
-----
-----

Post by DJBenz »

A by-the-numbers slasher movie with some great kills. I thought they missed a trick by having a huge audio score as someone was dying (especially that first kill) which would have drowned out any cheers from the crowd. Would have gone down well as a last of the night movie I think, but a nice way to start the day.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

It was all familiar stuff, but familiar stuff which doesn't get made any more... I was thinking of The Old Dark House, From Beyond the Grave, the aforementioned Dr Terror's House of Horrors. Good to see a mix of characters instead of the usual moronic partying teens, and good to see a plot which is well thought out instead of a half-developed "mythohology" which has already been dropped before the end of the film.

It's not great art, just a simple little horror movie and the budgetary limitations showed at times, but it was much, much better than I was expecting and that made it one of my favourites of the weekend. One of the best Q&As. too.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

The deaths were the best part of this with some inventive and gory ways of dispatching the victims. It felt too mechanical, with a set of introductions, then the gradual reveal of each character's past as they get picked off. There's not enough tension in between killings, with the killer suddenly appearing to kill someone and then vanishing until the script needs him again. The characters also tended to act in whatever unrealistic ways the script required them to. In the Q&A, the director talked about his deliberate attempt to make something with international appeal, but I think that by doing that the film has lost the uniqueness of seeing a slasher with a true Dutch sensibility.
Wolfshade
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by Wolfshade »

Surprised so many seemed to like this, I found it dull, generic and forgettable.

The kind of film that will be in the FF goody bag next year or the £1 bin in Asda.
killer guinea pigs
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by killer guinea pigs »

agree with the above post that this was horror film by the numbers.

cheesy dialog / characters, not much gore or talent on show. this would have been bad in the 80;s. please dont make a sequel as i always have to look just to see if it is any good........but it wont be.

only good thing was the enthusiasic boy from the film in splice q and a who enjoyed it and his perfomance which was good and nice to see....good for him.

2/10
itchy
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by itchy »

An above average attempt, well acted, interesting story, nice'ish visuals but a bit lacking in logic.

I didnt know throwing a dead bird at a Bus could cause it to topple sideways and it was kinda annoying to suffer through all the "she's mad" arguements.

Kudos for it not being teenagers in peril though.
gazadams
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by gazadams »

really liked this . Had a good setting and a little bit different with some good kills
Tyrannosaurus
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by Tyrannosaurus »

It takes a lot to make a slasher movie that's actually scary or generally capable of being taken seriously these days. These guys didn't quite manage that, but they certainly tried very hard!
itchy wrote: I didnt know throwing a dead bird at a Bus could cause it to topple sideways and it was kinda annoying to suffer through all the "she's mad" arguements.
Well maybe you'll think about that the next time you're thinking of getting on a bus. Didn't think this movie might end up saving your life, right?
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Better than average, enjoyed the characters and the mythology, by-the-numbers done quite well.
zappa fan
Frightfest Hardcore
Frightfest Hardcore

Post by zappa fan »

Currently on FreeVee.
LAST FILM- Turistas 2006
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious." - Bill Hicks

twitter @nottsey
Letterboxd nottsey
Instagram nottsey