Dead Shack

All the news, gossip and information about FrightFest 2017
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Dead Shack

Post by jonbly »

8/10 - A lonely old woman living in the woods is terrorized by a mean bunch of kids. Or... did I get that right? Oddly, felt like more comedy than horror.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: Dead Shack

Post by Alex J »

A fun mix of gags and zombie action. Light on suspense, but some good gory kills.
Spoiler:
The ending was strangely down beat though, especially after the whole family vibe that had been built up throughout the film.
7 / 10
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

I wasn't sold on this one. For me, the writing and delivery fell largely flat. The funniest character by far was drunk Dad, but he spends over half the film unconscious, locked in a cupboard under the stairs. 4/10
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Gosh, a low budget cabin-in-the-woods, there's-no-reception-on-my-cellphone* movie where the characters are actually likeable! How did that happen?

Unfortunately it completely fails to deliver on the zombie horror side of things and ends up as a very feeble effort overall. Shame.

(* I can't remember if there was actually a there's-no-reception-on-my-cellphone bit. But obviously there should have been.)
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

Although the horror was on the lightside and the ending was unsatifying, I really liked this movie because of the humor and likable characters. Would have been better if the dad had somehow survived, maybe by becoming a zombie and having the family suddenly in the villains shoes as having a loved one and family they cant kill despite being a zombie.
mamawaldi
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by mamawaldi »

Good film for a late night slot. Not too demanding and with enough humour and suspense to get by.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

Good late night film but I only liked the Dad character and the young son needed his microphoned-haired headed ripping off.

Competent if uninspired and unoriginal.

5/10
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by ChrisReynolds »

Underwhelming horror comedy. Neither the horror or comedy is as successful as it could have been, with the horror often soft-pedalled and shot in darkness, and the comedy having more misses than hits, with most of the humour being based around the characters getting drunk and insulting one another rather than arising naturally from the zombie situation. To be fair, a lot of the drunk humour was pretty amusing and seeing a man trying to hunt zombies while blind drunk was an original touch. There's also a commentary on family dynamics which gives the film another unique touch, but ultimately these are minor plus points within a generic plot line that fails to do enough to separate it from the huge number of other zombie horror comedies. Nevertheless it's competent and inoffensive enough that you could watch it and it will probably hold your attention till the end.