Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires

The place to discuss FrightFest 2018 - Dates this year are 23 - 27th August.
ChrisReynolds
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires

Post by ChrisReynolds »

I remember enjoying the short film version a lot when it screened at Frightfest some years back, but extending it to feature length didn't work for me. I think I could best describe it to someone as what you'd expect to get if Roy Chubby Brown was handed directorial control of an Aardman animations film: astonishingly detailed and painstakingly created animation but with all the humour pitched at a relentlessly puerile level. I think that can work well in small doses (c.f. the Chuck Steel short film), but if you're going to extend it to feature length, you need more depth and wit.

Worse, the film constantly crossed the line from parodying the misogynist and racist stereotypes of 80s to indulging in them itself. The film didn't feel especially malicious in this more embarrassing, like listening to a drunk uncle making off-colour jokes at a family dinner.

The animation quality makes it worth watching but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I don't know if they're going to make back the 25 million quid they spent on it, as it's going to be a hard sell and I don't think the critics are going to be favourable.
StephenF
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Re: Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires

Post by StephenF »

Chris - I couldn’t have put it better. I really wanted to like this, I did laugh a bit at first and - as you say - it looked fabulous. But the joke wore thin fast, and it seemed to veer from parody to genuine contempt for the targets of its humour. Sucked the fun out of it. I can’t see the US embracing it, without major changes - and I’d be worried about a 20-million-plus investment in the film.
ChrisReynolds wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:43 pm I remember enjoying the short film version a lot when it screened at Frightfest some years back, but extending it to feature length didn't work for me. I think I could best describe it to someone as what you'd expect to get if Roy Chubby Brown was handed directorial control of an Aardman animations film: astonishingly detailed and painstakingly created animation but with all the humour pitched at a relentlessly puerile level. I think that can work well in small doses (c.f. the Chuck Steel short film), but if you're going to extend it to feature length, you need more depth and wit.

Worse, the film constantly crossed the line from parodying the misogynist and racist stereotypes of 80s to indulging in them itself. The film didn't feel especially malicious in this more embarrassing, like listening to a drunk uncle making off-colour jokes at a family dinner.

The animation quality makes it worth watching but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I don't know if they're going to make back the 25 million quid they spent on it, as it's going to be a hard sell and I don't think the critics are going to be favourable.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Enjoyed every second of it. I personally loved the relentless completely non PC humour in it. It lampooned 80s movies like Cobra relentlessly and had a better more coherent story than many of the movies I sat through this weekend. It’s humour was exactly my kind of humour - hey I loved Postal, bought the DVD and have watched it many a time. It didn’t take itself seriously in the least which for me was a refreshing relief to some of the overly dark, wishy washy, pretentious and arty farty stuff I sat through. The standard of the animation was absolutely superb - I can’t even imagine how long it took to shoot - and the attention to detail, fantastic. Very probably it’s a marmite one but I bloody loved it and it’s one of the few movies at this years FF that Id happily pay to see again. 😎👍
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

I didn't see it as I was in a disco screen, but if they really did spend over £20m on this then I do fear for them, as I would imagine this is a niche film at best in the wider market - and given it seems to be getting mixed reviews out of FF then it doesn't bode well...
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
ArghZombies
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by ArghZombies »

It looked great and some of the jokes were excellent, but choosing to parody 80s action hero movies is a trope that's worn out now. I mean, the Simpsons were doing this with McBain in the early 1990s! It didn't feel fresh at all.

Honestly, if they'd have taken the general plot idea (which was pretty fun) and played it far more straight, and had a less cliché main character it would probably have worked better.
Twitter: @ArghZombies
Persephone
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Post by Persephone »

I respected the artistry and the love that had gone into it but I won’t lie I dozed off as did several others I know. I think it worked best as a short. I found the depiction of the female characters utterly hateful & the cheap lazy shots at cross dressing etc just felt really reactionary. I agree I’d be amazed at any US distributor getting on board
Lunny68
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Lunny68 »

Brilliant fun. Plus, the time and effort put into the film is just madness to comprehend. Sure it was rather over the top, but it did what I had been looking forward to it doing, and I had a great time watching it.
DavieT
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by DavieT »

Lunny68 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 pm Brilliant fun. Plus, the time and effort put into the film is just madness to comprehend. Sure it was rather over the top, but it did what I had been looking forward to it doing, and I had a great time watching it.
Totally agree - it’s humour (over the top, non PC, juvenile etc etc) was completely up my alley which is why I absolutely loved it. In these (dark) days of over the top political correctness and with seemingly many looking out for the next thing to be offended by, I found it to be a skill fully animated breath of irreverent fresh air. There are many who will hate it and equally many who’ll love it. It still remains one of the few movies this year I’d pay to see again.
TheDukeAbides
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by TheDukeAbides »

I liked this, though even though it flew by I did feel it went too long.

Great animation, good dialogue and characters and I was the right kind of buzzing drunk to enjoy this.
greenzombidog
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by greenzombidog »

I really enjoyed this, exactly what I expected from what I already knew of the short. Impressive animation especially on the action sequences. Awesome big monsters at the end. I found it funny I guess I'm the right kind of stupid for this type of humour. One of my highlights from this year.
In the dark womb we ate hot slime