2021 films

The place to discuss all things about the 2021 FrightFest Events
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: 2021 films

Post by jonbly »

Tonight's showing of The Exorcism of Carmen Farias has moved to 2320 Sat 4th (as the film hasn't arrived).

Do we expect any follow-up changes to tonight (eg moving Shadow of the Cat forwards as a replacement)? Or is the rest of tonight fixed?
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

If we're using the Eventive app on Roku, which version of the app are we meant to be using, Eventive TV or Eventive TV Beta? Not that either of these seemed to work last night.
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

The Soapmaker wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:04 am
Thanks, sounds like you are pretty much replicating my experience! I didn't feel like getting any night buses home this year so I also saved Crabs! and Coming Home In The Dark for the digital edition (I wish I had stayed to see The Maid, it seemed to get a favourable response).

I am also finding the Eventive app a bit shite. I got it to work, eventually, on Wednesday but yesterday it just wouldn't work on my TV and I had to watch online. I'd like to watch Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched but I'm going to be travelling tomorrow.
Really enjoyed The Maid. It's told in three chapters starting out like your typical slow burn Thai ghost story then after a few revelations it turns into a full on revenge flick and even manages to fit in a bit of a weepy ending so it runs through a gamut of emotions. Gets an 8/10 here.

I had the exact same problem with the Eventive app. Took a while but got it going for Crabs! (not that that was necessarily a good thing) but it refused to work for Coming Home In The Dark so had to watch it on my pc screen which is hardly ideal. Not had the time to watch any films today but I really want to see the Woodlands Dark doc as one of our group got up early last Sunday to catch the Disco screening and said it was excellent. So I'll be watching it tomorrow one way or the other. Hopefully it's not the way that involves 3+ hours sat in front of my pc screen!
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

Alex J wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm If we're using the Eventive app on Roku, which version of the app are we meant to be using, Eventive TV or Eventive TV Beta? Not that either of these seemed to work last night.
When I first tried to get the app working a couple of days back it didn't want to know. It seems that was the Beta version that I still had on there from last year so I deleted it and downloaded the latest version onto the Roku which just about worked for Crabs! before it all went wrong again yesterday. Will have to check before my next film tomorrow in case it needs another update, although Ian seems to think they've sorted the problems out now.
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

The Aylmer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:46 pm
Alex J wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm If we're using the Eventive app on Roku, which version of the app are we meant to be using, Eventive TV or Eventive TV Beta? Not that either of these seemed to work last night.
When I first tried to get the app working a couple of days back it didn't want to know. It seems that was the Beta version that I still had on there from last year so I deleted it and downloaded the latest version onto the Roku which just about worked for Crabs! before it all went wrong again yesterday. Will have to check before my next film tomorrow in case it needs another update, although Ian seems to think they've sorted the problems out now.
I did the same, installed the current version and deleted the Beta version from last year. Worked fine on Wednesday, didn't work on Thursday but it's OK again today, fingers crossed.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Thank you for the replies on the Eventive app!
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Dawn Breaks Behind The Eyes

Lots of nothing happening in this one, with some quite interesting twists joining it all together. It was just getting interesting when it ended in a blink-or-miss-it way... and I guess I blinked. 6/10

Bad Candy

Bit of a slow burn this one... presented as an anthology but it really isn't, with four threads coming together into one story by the end. Even so the structure is a bit odd. Still, persistance pays off in the end this time. 8/10.

Sweetie, You Won't Believe It

Madcap fun in Kazakhstan. More action-comedy than horror, but highly entertaining. 9/10
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror

Does not need a subtitle, which just emphasises how long this is. Interesting, but really too much for one sitting. 8/10.

https://severin-films.com/shop/folk-horror-box/
Boxset of the doc plus another 11 DVDs, 2 CDs and a book.
There's also a "Witches' Bundle" with additional ephemara, but that's only available to the UK by special order and a $100 surcharge for shipping...

The Claw

Terrible CGI, but otherwise reasonably enjoyable creature feature. 7/10

Gaia

Nice fungus effects. Maybe needs a bit more plot, or clearer motivations? 7/10

Evie

I'd disagree with the branding of this as a 'Selkie' story - lacking the shedding of the seal-skin for transformation. That may have been where the thought process started, but it morphed into something else along the way.

Still, good story and well put together to keep the viewer unsure as to what's really going on. 8/10

The Exorcism of Carmen Farias

Effective haunted house movie with a decent dash of exorcism. 8/10
Last edited by jonbly on Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

The Claw

Slight slacker comedy meets Jurassic Park in this creature feature that barely stretches to its already short running time. A bit of fun but fairly forgettable. A shame it didn't make more use of the ghost-town setting. 5.5 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Gaia

An eco-horror that's entertaining, poignant and spiritual. Engrossing and one for fans of
Spoiler:
Annihilation
, a shame I didn't see this on the big screen at the main festival. 8 / 10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Evie

Curious, the jumping around structure of the story is a bit bewildering and confusing at first, while the tale is a tad slow in places. The change from young to adult Evie is a also a bit jarring too. On the pro side this is a far more mature piece of work compared to Attack of the Adult Babies and it does have its moments of horror to enliven proceedings. Good to see a different take on the folklore too. 6 / 10
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Exorcism started for me with subtitles off - turn them on at bottom right!

...and it's possible to resize them... - the cog next to Subtitles, within the first cog, opens up a load of options.

...and the subtitle warning screen attached to As In Heaven doesn't allow subtitles to be turned on...
cineBAKA
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by cineBAKA »

The closed captioning subtitles for Fire TV don’t seem to work with the Eventive app. A disappointing waste. Was looking forward to As In Heaven, So On Earth. Would have booked something else had I known. Bizarre, as I’ve watched two other films with subtitles that played fine. I’m now wondering if there’s anything else with subtitles I have lined up that I’m going to miss.
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

Dementer

Hmm, awkward. The setting is very distracting... but also a necessary part of the story. 6/10

As In Heaven, So On Earth

Wobble-cam is dead! Doggo-cam is the new meta!
Subtitles need some spellchecking.
Overall, an interesting piece. I think the animated sections worked well, in context. 8/10

Ultrasound

Film disjointed and very is non-linear this. Is know anymore what I reality don't. 8/10

The comics can be found at https://www.breakdownpress.com/

Night Drive

I did not expect this to go there. The ending seemed unclear, to me. 7/10
Spoiler:
Why was Frank there?

Hotel Poseidon

Like Bottom, but Belgian, and without jokes or funny people. Still, better than Climax... -1/10
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Night Drive

There are twists and turns in this movie that starts off quite jokey and whimsical before becoming slightly darker as the mystery unfolds. A satisfying and fully explained conclusion rounds off this fun ride. 7 / 10