2021 films

The place to discuss all things about the 2021 FrightFest Events
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Re: 2021 films

Post by Alex J »

Frightfest Thanks

Well, even days before this year's festival I was wondering whether it would still take place live with infection rates creeping up, but it did and I am both relieved and incredibly grateful.

It must have brought even more challenges than ever before to organise and so a massive thank you to Ian, Paul, Greg and Alan for making the fest happen! As well as to Emma, Helen and everyone else involved in organising the event, thank you! Thanks too to Cineworld for hosting the fest, the staff were very smiley and helpful, and willing to enter into the spirit of things.

I'm not sure how some of them even got here at the current time, so thank you to the guests who made the effort to attend and I feel sorry for those that wanted to come to showcase their films but couldn't. Thank you to the sponsors and lastly, but by no means least, to the audience, who really do make this festival so special. Finally, cheers to absent friends!
No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Top 5

Well, this year's lineup was, in my view, superb, one of the best ever, with many strong contenders for a top 5 list.

My top 5 is as follows, although several others are very close to being in it, and probably would have been in most other years:

1) No Man of God
2) Broadcast Signal Intrusion
3) Coming Home in the Dark
4) The Last Thing Mary Saw
5) Sound of Violence
MrsE
Twitching Corpse
Twitching Corpse

Post by MrsE »

Echo the thanks to all for putting on Frightfest, it was good to be back in the cinema.

My top 5

The Advent Calendar
Broadcast Signal Intrusion
Dawn Breaks Behind the Eyes
Exorcism of Carmen Farias
Ultrasound

with an honourable mention to Sound of Violence
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

Had a blast as always, great to be back and thanks to the crew for organizing it!

My personal top 5 was:

The Sadness
No Man of God
Sound of Violence
Sweetie, You Won't Believe It

Least faves: Prisoners of the Ghostland, The Changed, Demonic. All stinkers imo.
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

For me the fest was lacking in horror. It was much more of a thriller-fest rather than a horror-fest with a theme of losing your mind or questioning who you are.

My top 3 were:
Sound of Violence
The Sadness

My bottom 3 were:
Knocking
Mystery Spot - (would be 14 if it wasnt for Graham Skipper. The gay bear community thank him for his service)
Are We Monsters
FranksWildYears
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by FranksWildYears »

I thought there were some real crackers this year, even if it might be partly because I was so looking forward to it after missing out last year they could have stuck just about anything on and I would have sat through it
Spoiler:
maybe not Shockwave Darkside
I was pissed off at missing Mark Kermode because I didn't fancy Demonic, but it sounds like I did the right thing (I saw Motherly in Disco One, which was OK if a bit pedestrian) and followed it with The Brilliant Terror which I'd recommend to anybody with a digital pass for later this week :)

My Top Five:
1: The Sadness just for being thoroughly daft and enjoyable
2: The Advent Calendar for being a proper old fashioned scary story
3: Broadcast Signal Intrusion for being really engaging and the mask robots being creepy as fuck
4: The Brilliant Terror for being lovely
5: A close call between this and Sound Of Violence, but I'm going for No Man Of God just because I was riveted and didn't expect to take to it at all

Honorable mentions for The Maid (which had my only blink-and-you-miss-it genuine scares in the first half before it all got a bit predictable), SoV as above and also Brain Freeze, which I thought was a pretty good starter for the Friday, especially after the effort Cineworld put in creating the matching sub zero atmospheric conditions.

Bottom 5:
1: John And The Hole was nicely made but so slow I fell asleep and didn't even realise until I woke up and saw my watch
2: Offseason had a promising start, but I got bored and fell asleep again when it all went a bit me-so-kooky
3: Motherly just for being a bit dull and predictable
4: Coming Home In The Dark for being a bit of a letdown and nowhere near grim enough after all the preamble
5: Prisoners Of The Ghostland because I really wanted to love it but it wasn't quite mad enough, although it looked beautiful

None of these were really bad, just not as good as I was hoping. A sterling effort IMO :D
Alex J
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by Alex J »

Am I correct in thinking that the final instalment (episode 6) of The Little Broomstick Rider wasn't played? Appreciate this may have been postponed to the digital event for good reasons
WraithApe
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by WraithApe »

I wish the other 5 episodes hadn't played tbh :green: As someone heckled in the crowd, 'does anyone actually like these?'
Whiptail
Walking Dead
Walking Dead

Post by Whiptail »

I really liked the little broomstick rider, but didnt think it was a particulary good fit for Frightfest. Im a sucker for original and bizzare animation so it tickled my jimmys.

I also really liked the animated segments of As in Heaven, So on earth, even if I was a little confused as to what they were doing....
Spoiler:
I mean, what was The Alchemist doing? Attempting to create relics, RE-create relics or going throught the process of how Jesus resurreced so they could bring the Cardinal back?
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

Was episode 2 of The Little Broomstick Rider ever played? I'm sure it skipped from 1 to 3. I often fall asleep during films but I don't think I've ever fallen asleep before one...
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

The Show

Frustrating... I've been sitting on the Kickstarter edition of the Jimmy's End stuff for a couple of years, and didn't realise that this was connected until too late... and now I'll have to wait until Digital FF is finished to watch the rest.

On its own, though... this was quite engaging. Took me a while to notice the changing stripes on the protagonist's top. 7/10

Crabs!

Silly enough to make the comedy work... but it ends up undermining the horror. 6/10

Feature-length all-Radu commentary track when?
jonbly
Braaaains!
Braaaains!

Post by jonbly »

I found this one a bit rambling... interesting concept that just didn't find its way. 6/10

Coming Home In The Dark

Bleak and gritty. The destination was a bit predictable, but it was a long ride to get there. 8/10
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

The Soapmaker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:06 pm Was episode 2 of The Little Broomstick Rider ever played? I'm sure it skipped from 1 to 3. I often fall asleep during films but I don't think I've ever fallen asleep before one...
I missed one episode, either 2 or 3. Turns out the one I missed played before the late night film on either Thursday or Friday and I had to head home before then to catch the last train (drove in for the remaining days). Just caught up with Crabs! and Coming Home In The Dark thanks to the digital Frightfest so I still managed to do all the films on the main screen. And I do fancy seeing the Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched documentary this Saturday but the Eventive app is proving a bit rubbish this year so I'll see how things go.
The Aylmer
Running Zombie
Running Zombie

Post by The Aylmer »

I did quite well this year with two 9/10's and seven 8/10's (with possibly Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched to add to that if/when I watch it this Saturday, which would make it a proper top ten)...

The Sadness
King Knight
Offseason
The Maid
Evie
No Man of God
Ultrasound
The Advent Calendar

There were a fair few 7/10's after that lot but my worst with a 4/10 had to be the festival opener...

Demonic (I think Blomkamp has just had his Adult Babies moment)
The Soapmaker
Undead Horde
Undead Horde

Post by The Soapmaker »

The Aylmer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:27 am
The Soapmaker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:06 pm Was episode 2 of The Little Broomstick Rider ever played? I'm sure it skipped from 1 to 3. I often fall asleep during films but I don't think I've ever fallen asleep before one...
I missed one episode, either 2 or 3. Turns out the one I missed played before the late night film on either Thursday or Friday and I had to head home before then to catch the last train (drove in for the remaining days). Just caught up with Crabs! and Coming Home In The Dark thanks to the digital Frightfest so I still managed to do all the films on the main screen. And I do fancy seeing the Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched documentary this Saturday but the Eventive app is proving a bit rubbish this year so I'll see how things go.
Thanks, sounds like you are pretty much replicating my experience! I didn't feel like getting any night buses home this year so I also saved Crabs! and Coming Home In The Dark for the digital edition (I wish I had stayed to see The Maid, it seemed to get a favourable response).

I am also finding the Eventive app a bit shite. I got it to work, eventually, on Wednesday but yesterday it just wouldn't work on my TV and I had to watch online. I'd like to watch Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched but I'm going to be travelling tomorrow.